Thunderbird Mail Notification Sound

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Thunderbird Mail Notification Sound

Postby Landngroove on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Hello: I have done a new install of Mint 13 Cinnamon. I also created a Thunderbird email account. I can't seem to get an audible sound when a new email arrives. I have checked the "Play a sound box" in the preferences catagory, but still no sound. The only sound I hear in Mint 13 is when I startup, which I installed myself in the startup applications. What do I need to do to enable this sound in Thunderbird. AsI am new to Linux, everything I do is trial, and error. Thanks.
Landngroove
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Thunderbird Mail Notification Sound

Postby Macmeister on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Landngroove wrote:Hello: I have done a new install of Mint 13 Cinnamon. I also created a Thunderbird email account. I can't seem to get an audible sound when a new email arrives. I have checked the "Play a sound box" in the preferences catagory, but still no sound. The only sound I hear in Mint 13 is when I startup, which I installed myself in the startup applications. What do I need to do to enable this sound in Thunderbird. AsI am new to Linux, everything I do is trial, and error. Thanks.

I had the same trouble, and found that if you'll open your sound file in Audacity and then export it as "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM" it will then work. Really!
Macmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Landngroove on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks, That worked for me !!
Landngroove
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Alkadia on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi,