mint4win not persistent

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

mint4win not persistent

Postby nerdtron on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Just out of curiosity, I tried installing Mint 14 Xfce using mint4win in Windows 8.

So I allocated it 8GB, and the installation went fine I was able to boot Mint 14.
First question, I gave it 8 GB and the free space is only about 950MB? Is this by design or a bug or just me? I mean I can even get a lot more free space when I do a full install. :shock:

And this is really made me remove the whole mint4win experiment. It is not persistent. I tried changing the wallpaper, a few settings and put some test files on the home folder but after a reboot is was like a fresh new install of mint4win. I tried it a few times just to troubleshoot, like rebooting to win8 then to mint or rebooting staight to mint again. I also tried reinstalling again the mint4win but still no luck.
Am I the only with these problems? Are there any solutions?
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint4win not persistent

Postby karlchen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello, nerdtron.

The answer is here: mint4win usable drive space and disk image size mismatch.

Karl
karlchen
Level 12
Level 12

Postby nerdtron on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Haha....thanks! I will try that when I get home.
Seems like mint4win changed the way it install since I don't remember having to click the installation button in the mint4win environment.
:D
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Postby usbtux on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:05 am

nerdtron wrote:Haha....thanks! I will try that when I get home.
Seems like mint4win changed the way it install since I don't remember having to click the installation button in the mint4win environment.
:D

You are quite right, M4W used to do a full"install" just using the initial installer. But now its pi#* poor and catches the majority of people out, it should come with a a BIG WARNING when you initially use it that you are just installing the live cd environment and will need to install it again.

However wubi is being discontinued and this may be the imminent end of wubi/mint4win installs.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions