mint4win not persistent

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nerdtron

mint4win not persistent

Post by nerdtron »

Just out of curiosity, I tried installing Mint 14 Xfce using mint4win in Windows 8.

So I allocated it 8GB, and the installation went fine I was able to boot Mint 14.
First question, I gave it 8 GB and the free space is only about 950MB? Is this by design or a bug or just me? I mean I can even get a lot more free space when I do a full install. :shock:

And this is really made me remove the whole mint4win experiment. It is not persistent. I tried changing the wallpaper, a few settings and put some test files on the home folder but after a reboot is was like a fresh new install of mint4win. I tried it a few times just to troubleshoot, like rebooting to win8 then to mint or rebooting staight to mint again. I also tried reinstalling again the mint4win but still no luck.
Am I the only with these problems? Are there any solutions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: mint4win not persistent

Post by karlchen »

Hello, nerdtron.

The answer is here: mint4win usable drive space and disk image size mismatch.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Haha....thanks! I will try that when I get home.
Seems like mint4win changed the way it install since I don't remember having to click the installation button in the mint4win environment.
:D
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

nerdtron wrote:Haha....thanks! I will try that when I get home.
Seems like mint4win changed the way it install since I don't remember having to click the installation button in the mint4win environment.
:D
You are quite right, M4W used to do a full"install" just using the initial installer. But now its pi#* poor and catches the majority of people out, it should come with a a BIG WARNING when you initially use it that you are just installing the live cd environment and will need to install it again.

However wubi is being discontinued and this may be the imminent end of wubi/mint4win installs.

Return to “Beginner Questions”