Need to get speakers to work plus help with Wine.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1nitwit4now

Need to get speakers to work plus help with Wine.

Post by 1nitwit4now »

Just brought home my old computer with new Mint OS installed this evening. (Finally got rid of XPHome.) Serviceman wasn't there to show me anything when I picked it up. Speakers have power, but don't work. Tried following instructions I found searching the web, but was unable to complete because my options didn't match those given in the tutorial.

My computer skills aren't all that great which is why I waited so long before trying a Linux OS. Finally bit the bullet after XPHome wouldn't load properly with either the Microsoft disc or the System Restore disc from the manufacturer.

I know I will be having plenty of other questions. I keep this computer for my grandsons. They like to download games to play and watch youtube videos. Wine was suppose to have already been installed, but I don't know where to find it. Or use it once found for that matter. Haven't as yet researched Wine, so if anyone knows links to a great place to learn about it, then please include them when you reply. I'll be sure to point my oldest grandson in that direction! He didn't see how to get the speakers working either. Neither of us has any experience using a Linux OS.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

BTW, computer is about 7 years old. It is a Velocity Micro with one of the Audigy sound cards. I can hunt up specific information if you need to know it. Speakers are a 2.1 Logitech. Forget the model, but they were top rated 2.1 speakers for a few years in a row.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Need to get speakers to work plus help with Wine.

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

1nitwit4now wrote:Just brought home my old computer with new Mint OS installed this evening. (Finally got rid of XPHome.) Serviceman wasn't there to show me anything when I picked it up. Speakers have power, but don't work. Tried following instructions I found searching the web, but was unable to complete because my options didn't match those given in the tutorial.
What instructions? Assuming the speakers do work open an terminal (it's in the Menu) copy and paste this in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo killall pulseaudio
or

sudo killall pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
That should work for most sound problems. Also what edition of Mint are you using Mint 13 or Mint and what Desktop Environment you're using Cinnamon,MATE,XFCE,KDE?
Haven't as yet researched Wine, so if anyone knows links to a great place to learn about it, then please include them when you reply.
Wine is easy just use the software or package manager to install. When you download any .exe right click the file and in the context menu it should read "Install with wine". That's all to it,though not all programs work with wine check this site (http://appdb.winehq.org/) to see if anyone has problems installing or running a certain program.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
1nitwit4now

Post by 1nitwit4now »

I can cut-and=paste to the browser, but not to Terminal. I typed in the commands. Nothing happened until I typed in the second one. Also I do not get:

CODE: SELECT ALL

in Terminal. It did ask me for my password. What I get in Terminal is:

dale@UnixMint - $

How do I find out if I am using Mint 13 or Mint and what Desktop Environment is being used.....Cinnamon,MATE,XFCE,KDE?

BTW, I found Winetricks under Other.

Please let me know if I should be posting these questons on another forum. Also please do not forget I never saw a Linux OS until this evening.

It is time to hit the sack, so don't think I am ignoring anyone. Will check back tomorrow evening.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

1nitwit4now wrote:
How do I find out if I am using Mint 13 or Mint and what Desktop Environment is being used.....Cinnamon,MATE,XFCE,KDE?

BTW, I found Winetricks under Other.

Please let me know if I should be posting these questons on another forum. Also please do not forget I never saw a Linux OS until this evening.
Run this command to know what desktop you are using

inxi -Fxz | grep Desktop
You may want to install PlayOnLinux and Winetrick from the software center. PlayOnLinux help you install some games easily.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

That 'CODE: SELECT ALL' is a forum feature. You won't see that in your terminal. You should be able to copy and paste the green lines of code beneath that code
:select all(they are green on my desktop), one at a time, to your terminal. Just paste it after the $. Any 'sudo' command should require your password. su is short for supervisor Hope that helps a bit.

Don't know which desktop you use yet. I use KDE. In my system settings(from main menu) I have a multimedia icon, from there the phonon selection, then the audio hardware setup tab. I can click on 'front left' and 'front right' to test my speakers. Other desktops probably have something similar. I'd try that first to see if you get any sound. If that doesn't work, then go to step 2.
1nitwit4now

Post by 1nitwit4now »

Running the inxi -Fxz | grep Desktop command yielded

System: Host: UnixMint Kernel: 3.5.0-17- generic 1686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia

I cannot cut and paste into Terminal
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Try copy and paste. Not cut and paste. ??
1nitwit4now

Post by 1nitwit4now »

homerscousin wrote:Try copy and paste. Not cut and paste. ??

That worked. Can't do a Ctrl C..........Ctrl V. Have to right click and select Copy, go to Terminal and right click and select Paste.

Now if someone knows how to get the speakers to work. Am going to try and remember to call the guy who did the installation for me. He should know...hopefully. :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”