wifi dongle drivers just won't stick

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yana

wifi dongle drivers just won't stick

Post by Yana »

Hi! My name's Ke-Yana, but do call me Yana. I'm a total linux n00b. So n00b in fact, it'll be a week tomorrow since a friend helped me figure out how to install Mint 14. I've wanted to switch to linux for years but I knew it would be a steep learning curve so I wanted to have a second computer separate from my work computer on which to learn all I need to learn. And I finally got one with much scavenging!

Anywho... system:

I have a dual boot, Mint 14 (cinnamon) 32bit + WinXP (SP2). Each OS has about 30gig each. It's a fairly basic system. XP and the hardware are at least five years old. I'm not sure which stats are relevant to the problem. But I've got 1gig ram, CPU is an Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz. Graphics card is a basic integrated thing "Intel 82865G". I've also got a little USB wifi dongle "Realtek RTL 8188CU".

I've had two priorities with Mint this week, one, get my internet working, and two figure out how to get minecraft working. The former, I've had some success with, the latter not so much (but I'll make a thread about that elsewhere if I can't find any more tutorials to try out for that).

I went on a google hunt for how to install the wifi dongle, and after two days of trying stuff and failing, I found this tutorial:
http://www.r-statistics.com/2011/11/edi ... ntu-11-10/

Same apparent dongle, same apparent drivers, just for Ubantu, so I gave it go. And (after realising it was a little outdated and I already had the first part of the tutorial installed with Mint), I got the drivers, used the install command in the folder and poof! The internet works.

The problem is I have to install the drivers every time I boot up Mint. The "blacklist" part of these instructions aren't working, and I don't know enough about how this black list thing is supposed to work to solve my problem to figure out a work around.

It's really not much more effort to install the drivers every time, it just bugs me that it means there's something I'm missing, and if I just knew a little more I could probably fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix it? And... perhaps are able to give such advice in "Captain Dummy talk"? because I barely know how to use the Terminal right now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yana

Re: wifi dongle drivers just won't stick

Post by Yana »

It's been 48 hours, so according to the rules and stuff page, I can bump this. So... bump..

Return to “Beginner Questions”