How to Force Quit?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to Force Quit?

Postby The.Linux.Experiment on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Simple question, how do you force quit a non responding application that is causing your system to hang?

Firefox keeps crashing in mint 14 on me, I installed a little app that lets me kill a program but I can't get to the button to kill the stubborn one. I saw somewhere where someone used alt-f2 and typed "killall (programname here)" to terminate a app but that doesn't work for me either. I assume there's some hot key combination equivalent like windows Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager, select progie and end task...

Thanks
Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon

Free 5GB of Cloud space + extra 5GB using this link https://copy.com/?r=A0im67
The.Linux.Experiment
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to Force Quit?

Postby passerby on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 pm

What output do you get when running "killall firefox"? Does it execute and just not do anything to the stubborn one?
You can also do so via your task manager. MATE's is mate-system-monitor, I think Cinnamon's is gnome-system-monitor. Just right click on the process and kill it.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby The.Linux.Experiment on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Well I think it was just a total lock up each time. After a fresh reboot I can execute the alt-f2 killall firefox and it behaves correctly. previously nothing happened when i hit alt-f2, not even a dialog box to even type in the command. Nor could I access the menu pulldowns etc. Is there anyway to look at logs to see about troubleshooting the issue? it keeps happening and not always the same pages etc...
Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon

The.Linux.Experiment
Level 1
Level 1

Postby passerby on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 pm

If firefox is causing the lockups, try running firefox from the terminal. When it becomes problematic, you'll hopefully get some useful warnings/errors show up.
There are general logs for such events (eg. /var/log), but I wouldn't know where to begin therein.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby The.Linux.Experiment on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Cool thanks, every little new tid bit of information is a learning experience for me. The fun is in putting the pieces of the puzzle together :P
Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon

The.Linux.Experiment
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions