Difficulty with Folder Sharing.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Difficulty with Folder Sharing.

Postby EwenB on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 am

I am having some difficulty with Folder Sharng in my VMware Linux Mint installation. At the outset when I typed /mnt/hgfs all I got was an empty folder. Note that I do have VMare Tools installed.

I ferretted about with Google and I came across this item:
All commands carried out as "sudo"
mkdir /mnt/hgfs/my_shared_folder (which in this case is "Data"
mount -t vmhgfs .host:/Data /mnt/hgfs/Data

After having done this with all three shared folders I was more than happy to note that all the folders were in /mnt/hgfs and all the information was accessable.

I closed the system down for the day and whwn I logged on later that day and I accessed /mnt/hgfs Iwas happy to see the folders all there but when I opened (for example) "Data" the contents were all gone and I had to go throught the two steps above to get the information back.

My question therefore is this: how do I get the information to remain "saved" after a shut down and is it possible to place a shortcut on the desk top?
EwenB
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Difficulty with Folder Sharing.

Postby EwenB on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Hmmmm... I would have thought someone could work this one out!
EwenB
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions