Wireless Connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duncan222

Wireless Connection

Post by duncan222 »

I Have been using Mint 13 on a wired connection, having moved the computer to another location I am now trying to change it to a wireless connection but cannot find out how do do this.
If I Put in a Mint 14 ISO and do not install it I have no problems connecting to the internet but trying to find that same box that gives me that option on my currently installed Mint 13 appears impossible.
What is the simplest way to delete any refrence to a wired connection (which keeps showing) and does not allow any option to delete or start a new wireless network.?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Wireless Connection

Post by AlbertP »

I don't think it is related to your existing wired connection. Probably your wifi device was not supported yet by Mint 13.

Could you open Terminal from the menu, type this command in it, and press Enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
It will show the network hardware in your computer, then maybe I know what to do with this device on Mint 13.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
duncan222

Post by duncan222 »

Thanks for your response, I Get the following messages

CARD 1: Atheros ar8121/ar8113/ar8114 gigabit or fast ethernet : Driver ATLIE
IF:ETHO State: Down mac:00;24;bc;1<f.8C

CARD 2: BELKIN F6D4050: N150 enhanced Network adaptor v1000 (ralink RT Driver) rt 2800 USB

IF: WLA0 state :Down Mac 94;44;52

Hope that helps.
duncan222

Post by duncan222 »

Not sure how I managed it but everything seems ok now,

inxi -n
Network: Card-1: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet driver: ATL1E
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:24:8c:1f:8c:c8
Card-2: Belkin F6D4050 N150 Enhanced Wireless Network Adapter v1000 [Ralink RT2870] driver: rt2800usb
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 94:44:52:4e
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, we can update the driver to have this working on 13 too. Apparently your device needs 14's newer driver version to work.

Please download the package with newer drivers from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... -2.tar.bz2
Then please extract the archive, go to the folder where you extracted it, and right-click in the folder > Open in Terminal. In that terminal please run:

Code: Select all

./scripts/driver-select rt2x00
make
sudo make install
Then please reboot.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”