Cant search in software manager locks up, help with posting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kd7ura

Cant search in software manager locks up, help with posting

Post by kd7ura »

im posting here because the mint tools and bugs section dont have the new topic buttons.
i start software mngr LM Cinnamon 14 /64 can click buttons and move through lists, add software, but if i try to search in the search window at top it locks up.
had same problem with 32 bit eddition.
after closing prog i get message software manager not responding. i force quit, then it goes away.
on 32 bit eddition doing same afterfew minuts try to run synaptic Package manager wont run as software manager is still running?
reboot?
any ideas, ive rebooted enough to make windows look good again :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cant search in software manager locks up, help with post

Post by xenopeek »

Not really a bug, though it is known that if you are using Software Manager on a slow computer, or if you don't type so fast, or if you are searching for very short keywords (like two letters), that the Software Manager may appear to freeze. It actually isn't frozen, it's just searching very hard for you for whatever you wanted it to search for--and while searching it doesn't update its window so that looks like it is frozen.

In its Edit > Preferences menu you can disable "Search while typing". If the problem was that it started searching while you had just typed one or two letters, then disabling that should be an improvement. Now you press enter key after typing what you want to search for and, assuming it is not a very short keyword, search should go much better.
kd7ura

Post by kd7ura »

that got it, thanks for the help!! :D
i didnt think my computor was slow?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's just the way it does the search; if for example it already starts searching on your first key pressed, it will try to find all the matches for that one letter in all the description text of all 60.000+ packages. Those aren't indexed, so it's a CPU intensive action and might take some many seconds to complete. While that is happening, it doesn't update the window so it looks frozen.

Return to “Beginner Questions”