Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sesterlinux

Re: Beginers Guide to Installing and Using Mint

Post by sesterlinux »

Hello all. I already asked this in the Mint4Win forum, but this one seems more populated, so I'll ask again:

I'm interested in Mint so I thought using Mint4Win would be as easy as wubi was. Turns out, that's not so.

After installing, I restart my netbook. But the option to boot Mint doesn't even appear. My netbook just proceeds to Windows 7 as usual.

I tried booting from a USB, but all I got was the message "missing operating system". And then I get Windows 7 again. DX

Help? (Again, I need to stress: I'm a noob (a.k.a lifetime Windows user). Please don't use confusing jargon with me.) I really want to try Mint out
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Make sure the filesystem for the USB is correct: some computers need Fat32, older ones may need it to be Fat16 formatted. Also, you can't just copy the contents of the ISO to a USB. Mint will not work then. You need Unetbootin (if you use Linux to make a Linux USB) or Universal USB Creator (www.pendrivelinux.com, if you use Windows to make a Linux USB).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
pickafer

Post by pickafer »

Thanks
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Updated user guide URL for Linux Mint 11
reem

Re: Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint

Post by reem »

for some reason the universal usb creator does not list mint 10 gnome - which is the name of the iso. Thus it can't find the iso at all...

I'm trying it by choosing 'unknown' from the UUC list.

Any ideas if this doesn't work?
reem

Post by reem »

Well I got it running, after a fashion.

tons of errors, a frankly awful experience!

I then tried to download Deluge to get hold of a copy of windows - anything! - and was met with a baffling array of folders: which I presume I was meant to pick and choose from?

Liked the idea of Linux, loved the look of it, but it's clearly not for me!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Just use 'Mint 10' instead of Mint 10 Gnome. This works fine for Mint 10 (but not for 11).
paraschivp1993

Post by paraschivp1993 »

great information on this topic. thanks guys.

Paraschivescu Paul bmwclub.ro moderator micronet constanta 0744509330
thevaliantx

Post by thevaliantx »

Does this guide address the issues that some (I can't be the ONLY one) are having with the installer failing at the stage of installing the bootloader? This is a very important topic. Without being able to boot to Mint 11, well ...
Shadus

Post by Shadus »

So I'm currently attempting to get through the transferral of files (copying them, that is) from an 8 gig stick to my hard drive (which is currently empty as it is a new acquisition), and I am currently stuck at the 'who are you?'part where you set your password, name your computer, etc. All files seem to have been copied and waiting, but I can't move forward because the forward button is grayed out. >.< I can't seem to find a way past this, and have already tried rebooting without the 8 gig stick after the first time (my dad is helping me with this and we are booting from the 8 gig stick to get this work), it's not working. Could someone please help? I really want to get my computer back. :(

p.s. the instal Linux Mint option is being used to take care of this, so I don't know.

Edit: Please disregard. I managed to figure out the problem on my own.
Yingchun

Post by Yingchun »

This is worth a read: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872 (note that this is a bit old; ext3 was the default when this was written. Stick with ext4 for now. brtfs is going to be the next "default" filesystem for Ubuntu, but for now I recommend sticking with the ext family of filesystems simply because they've been tried and tested again and again and found to be reliable).
Last edited by Oscar799 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Commercial links removed
antalves

Post by antalves »

By doing a reinstall, the program detects the presence of existent installation and asks if we wants to fix it. This option really applies in order to leave an existing installation in "good shape"? :wink:
Rosenquartz

Post by Rosenquartz »

Hello, I tried asking for help on the IRC but no one answered my so I'm hoping I can get help here. I'm having trouble installing Mint. I burned the iso to a disk the way the guide laid out, did the check, but for some reason after I restart my computer I can only get as far as telling Mint to run before my screen just goes black and I have to force quite to be able to do anything. I have no idea what I could have done wrong so any help is greatly need and appreciated.
antalves

Post by antalves »

Rosenquartz wrote:Hello, I tried asking for help on the IRC but no one answered my so I'm hoping I can get help here. I'm having trouble installing Mint. I burned the iso to a disk the way the guide laid out, did the check, but for some reason after I restart my computer I can only get as far as telling Mint to run before my screen just goes black and I have to force quite to be able to do anything. I have no idea what I could have done wrong so any help is greatly need and appreciated.
I had some problems with installations. I decided to remaster the ISO at low speed (x2) and then worked perfectly :idea:
Mechanics Fan

Post by Mechanics Fan »

I used the downloaded image file and Unetbootin to create a bootable usb drive. Installation was seamless.

John
wright

Post by wright »

ihve read and followed all in beginners guide plus all suggested add ons download via torrent and hve not been able to get anything to work md5sum will not work winzip will not erxtract iso burned to cd will not boot or install i find this unusual any way i really wanted to install mint on one of my omputers but have twarted at every turn. i guess i will jut give up do not know what to try next thanks
wordsmyt

Post by wordsmyt »

Hi,

Gurus Please help!

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5602wlmi system
Core Duo Processor 1.66 GHz, 667 Mhz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
1GB RAM
512 MB ATI Graphics
Running Win XP SP3

and I'm trying to boot/install from a DVD-R .

> I've ensured that I've got the boot sequence set to check CD/DVD drive first
> I've also ensured that the files on disc are the iso image and not the iso itself copied to disc.
> I've done the MDF check and it matches up.

What am I missing...?

Symptoms observed while running windows -- regular Blue Screens Of Death (BSOD)

Kind Regards,
~Wordsmyt~

PS. I've also ensured I picked up the 32 bit version
listed here http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=81
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Does anything happen when you put the CD in the drive (open the drive when shutting down Windows), and then turn on the computer?
Perhaps you need to configure the BIOS to boot from CD.

Indeed, for a Core Duo (not a Core 2 Duo) you need the 32-bit edition.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I think you must have been comfortable by now with linux

still need help read these two posts.

What is the difference between Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, ...
Linux Beginners Search Engine
Last edited by sunewbie on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
nppeds05

Post by nppeds05 »

anyone please, i have downloaded mint 11 katya. to dvd. everytime i have no luck, just boots directly to windows. i even went to computer store, they downloaded to dvd. and once again nothing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”