Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint 11

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Beginers Guide to Installing and Using Mint

Postby SoConfused on Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

It's me again with another stupid question. I searched in the search box above to unsubscribe from this forum and I got zip, nada. Can someone please direct to the correct page? I have tons of unwanted e-mail from entities that I cannot unsubscribe to, so your help would be appreciated. I searched "unsubscribe" and "how to unsubscribe", with three results, none of which apply. Thanks very much.
SoConfused
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

free mint installer

Postby sym on Fri May 22, 2009 3:42 am

hi i just wanna ask if there is a free cd installer that is available to be delivered on our doorstep?
sym
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rat in a cage on Fri May 22, 2009 6:20 am

rat in a cage
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Borderlass on Sat May 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi I have only started using Linux and I am not at all good with Computers. My partner installed Linux for me and downloaded all my photos on to it, unfortunately they all went into the same folder ...over 8000 and they made a copy of each one. It takes ages to open my photos and it is driving me nuts. I have tried to delete some and put some into folders by dragging and dropping , it took ten mins to do seven photos. Is there a quicker way to do this. Thanks in advance

Borderlass
Borderlass
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Castle on Fri May 29, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks for the guide, gonna take a look into it. Installed Mint and some why the Grub ain't working, hope the guide will help em solve the issue
Castle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Swap Partition for Installing and Using Mint

Postby Jojo on Sat May 30, 2009 10:06 am

I'd like to manually partition my drive for /, /home and /swap. Neither the Mint 5 or 7 guides mention the max for the swap. A very good follow to the Mint 5 guide recommends 2x the RAM and not to exceed 4GB. Today, most computers come with 3GB, so double that would exceed the 4 GB limit. Has this changed since Mint 5?? What should I allocate for swap space (and perhaps this could be added to future guides?).

Thanks in advance

Jojo
Jojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sat May 30, 2009 10:25 am

Found in the Newbie Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

It's a long read, but Fred gives some good advice. Swap is talked about quite a bit.

hope this helps, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing and Using Mint/Dual boot with Vista

Postby Jojo on Sun May 31, 2009 2:47 am

Yes, Fred mentions the swap there -- thanks.

Now I've got a new problem: partitioning with Vista. My new laptop came with Vista preinstalled. It's got two small ntfs partitions that probably shouldn't be deleted, plus one ntfs partition that I've resized with Vista on it. I now want to install Mint 7 on the remaining space, but neither the installer nor Gparted will allow more than 4 partitions, so how can I add 3 more-- a /, /home and swap??? It will only allow one more partition. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to specify logical or primary. Now what?

Thanks in advance

Jojo
Jojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jojo on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Problem solved. My 4th partition was made using a Windows program and marked as primary. The solution was to delete that partition using the mint installer. That was then allocated it as free space. From there, just choose create new partition and choose 'logical'. Quite simple, really. Hope this helps other that might have a similar problem.
Jojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nahkranoth on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi everyone. I got old hp compaq n610c laptop with 2ghz pIV(but i prefere it to run with 1,2ghz:) 512mb ram and ati's 32m graphic card and i wonder if main gnome based mint 7 will run on it or should i install the one marked mint 5 LTS or community one with kde, xfce, or fluxbox based. Wich one will run smoothly on my quite old hardware and won't eat entire ram, proc and drink it all with swap area:)
nahkranoth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:54 pm

generally speaking, driver support gets better with later releases, particularly for old hardware. I'd suggest you just try out the LiveCDs and see which works best.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kerrywez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi All,
Please ignore this post I have managed to sort it out myself and all seems to be working at the moment, but I know I shall need more help as I go along, Thanks for taking the time tio read this and if any mod would like to remove this post please do so with my blessing. Sorry for any trouble I have caused. I am even using Mint and Firefox to send this edit.

I have just received a copy of Mint 7, on DVD, and it is a Virtual Machine version. I downloaded and installed VirtualBox 2.2.2 for Windows hosts x86/AMD64. I am running this on my Sony Vaio, which is a 32Bit machine, running Vista Home Premium, but I cannot get the thing to run for me. I have copied the VDI file to my HDD, but I get the following error message when I try to start Mint

FATAL: No bootable medium found? System halted.

That is the exact message that I get, I am sure that I have done something very simple, or rather not done it. Please help I was so looking forward to using Mint, as I have heard so much about it and how simple it is to use.

Regards Wez :oops:
kerrywez
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mzsade on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:47 am

Hi,
I am in the process of downloading Gloria and have tried several times to download the user guide but get a blank page each time. Same thing happened when i tried to download it from Linux Mint home page. I am already using Jaunty and would like to dual-boot with it. Could you please look into the link for the User guide that you have provided? Thanks and greetings to everyone here. :)
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:23 am

mzsade: I have verified that this link works (right-click > save as): http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf Perhaps you're clicking on the wrong link, or maybe there's a problem with your internet connection.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mzsade on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks buddo, just kicked myself in the butt, oh yes, i can do that, i am very flexible--right click and save, huh?, and i thought a simple left click would take me there... :D I am going to enjoy being here after being banned by the politically correct hypocrites of Ubuntu forums. I am perfectly harmless, i assure you.
Regards,
mzsade
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby truckerjay on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:10 am

I would like to know since I installed mint on my laptop how do I check all of my drives? Also hardware?
truckerjay
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mzsade on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:21 am

To know about your "drives" (they are called devices in Linux and instead of the letters C, D, etc. are named /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so on).

To know about your system hardware, try this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/system-hardwa ... ports.html.
Good luck
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mzsade on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:44 am

Guess what? I just installed hardinfo, it's showing as installed in my package manager, but i can't find in anywhere among all the applications in the menu. I think we both need guidance here.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:30 am

I also can't find it in the menu, you probably have to log out and in again or something, but you can launch it quite easily by typing hardinfo into the ALT+F2 dialog box
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby altair4 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:16 am

Unfortunately it's not called "hardinfo" in the menu. It's called:

Menu > Preferences > System Profiler and Benchmark

Intuitive, right :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions