How Do I Install Games Without a Fast Internet?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How Do I Install Games Without a Fast Internet?

Postby bme on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 am

I am one of those unfortunate that still use dialup for internet. Seems that it would be difficult for me to add software unless I am willing to download by apt which takes a long time on dial up. I was able to get linuxmint from my school which has a broadband connection.
I want to know if there is a way where I can download the whole gnome-games package including dependencies and bring it home on aflash to install on my laptop.
BTW, I am not allowed to connect the laptop to the school network..... :cry:
Last edited by bme on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron 640 m Multiboot Mint/Vista/XP
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How Do I Install Games Withoput a Fast Internet?

Postby 67GTA on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:05 pm

You can buy a repository DVD. It is a little pricey, but you will have all of the packages available that you can download from the package manager.

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/cPa ... cts_id/477
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How Do I Install Games Withoput a Fast Internet?

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Instructions here for Ubuntu 8.04 could be modified: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/10/ ... buntu-804/

Basic idea is to take a USB stick or USB drive to school and use the school's network to mirror the repos directly to your USB device. Take it home, and then tell synaptic to check your USB device.

I'm thinking you get a little bootable persistent USB stick and run Elyssa or Hardy on it. I have one that runs Hardy; I'll make one that runs Elyssa this weekend. Use the USB stick to reboot one of your school PCs to linux and then 'sudo aptitude install apt-mirror' to fill up a seperate USB device.

Or you buy a repo DVD.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How Do I Install Games Without a Fast Internet?

Postby bme on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks for responding!
A DVD repo,hmmm...I have googled this idea and found a couple of sites,one of them from Indonesia that provide ubuntu repositories on dvd size free download.

The thing is- why would I want a whole dvd just to install games? Why can't linux be like windows that if I want to install something it is available from "majorgeeks.com"?(As if this question has not been answered before--sorry Guys!) Perhaps there comes a time that this will happen. Wubi makes it possible to install on linux on windows now,ubuntu can be ......Mint soon to follow maybe?.....
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 pm

You can do it manually. Just pretend your going to install gnome-games, and write down all of the dependencies that the package manager says it will need. Then while your at school, go to this site http://packages.ubuntu.com/ , and download gnome-games and all of it's dependencies. You will have to download them one by one. This is a pain in the butt. Linux distros use different versions/package names. It is almost impossible to make a software package that will universally install on every Linux distro. With Microsoft, you only have one flavor to make a package for, so one size usually does fit all. There are sites that you can download software from for linux, but you also have compile them from source, and install all of the dependencies that package requires. The package manager is like Majorgeeks. Just tell it what you want, and it will download and install it for you. A DVD repo will let you install games and anything else you could think of without downloading anything. It is all there on the disk. Mint is not yet supported by Wubi.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bme on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:44 am

What about the ubuntu alternate disk-can I use them to install gnome-games?
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ferdil on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:46 am

No. The ubuntu alternate CD is identical to the normal CD except from the text-based installer.

But why don't you mirror the repositories to a USB stick?
Don't blame me for my bad english. This is not my native language.

Are the decisions that you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Ferdil
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cogDis on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:28 pm

Here's an idea....

Sorry if this is a bit sloppy but I'm kind of pressed for time at the moment.

Take your livecd to school and boot it up on a machine with a fast internet connection. Once you are in, open synaptic and install the Aptoncd package along with the games you want. When synaptic had finished, fire up APTonCD from the menu and create a CD-ROM iso containing the games and their dependencies. If the machine you are using has a spare burner, (one not containing the livecd as you cannot remove it with an active session) then burn the iso that was created (should be in your home directory). Otherwise, copy the iso to a usb drive and take it home to burn to disc.

With the disc in your home machine, fire up synaptic (you may be prompted for this when you insert the disc) and select "Add-CD-ROM" from the Edit menu. You can then click on the Origin button in the lower left and you should see your CD-ROM as an installation source. Mark the packages you want to install and synaptic will pull them off of the cd and install them for you.

BIG NOTE! It is possible that this won't work, particulary if the school machine is low spec. The livecd environment uses lots of ram and there would need to be some headroom to store the downloaded files and created iso.

FYI: When apt-get or synaptic downloads packages, the package files are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. APTonCD just parses the contents of this directory when it creates your disc iso. If you run into problems with aptoncd, you could just manually copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives to a usb drive and take them home to install manually with either gdebi or from the command line with sudo dpkg -i *.deb.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas..

CD
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bme on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks for that idea.....
After convincing school's IT to enable booting from CD I was able to use the live cd to download and update and run aptoncd, and make an iso for the cached deb files....
Then I discovered that there is a bug in apton cd that prevents reading/loading of the cd that contains the files. After googling and going thru ubuntuforums, I found a patch and proceeded to restore the files to installation at home.....
Now I have an almost perfect mint installation.......
Thanks again for all replies......
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 pm

If you feel like mooching on the schools net again, there is a downloadable repo DVD on the net, there is a topic about it here somewhere. Download the repo here
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bme on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:38 am

I know about that site.....It also has some hidden links to exploits -BE CAREFUL!
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions