[SOLVED] How do you search the file system?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] How do you search the file system?

Postby melchizedek on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:21 pm

How do you search your file system in Mint 5.0? If I remember rightly, under Mint 4.0 there was a "Find" feature found in the Elyssa menu, which you could use to search out files using wildcard symbols......*.wav for example. But I can't seem to find out how to do this in Mint 5.0. Any pointers?
Last edited by melchizedek on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS M2N68 PLUS | AMD Phenom 2.3 GHz x4 64 processor | 3D Fuzion 7600GS nVidia video | Corsair 2GB DDR2 PC-5300 dual channel | BENQ DVD+RW | 500 GB SATA HD (7200) | 250 GB SATA-300 Seagate Barracuda (7200) | Soundblaster Live | Mint 7.0/XP dual boot.
melchizedek
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do you search the file system?

Postby CavalierBob on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:31 pm

You could add to the panel the applet 'Search For Files'. I think this will give you the functionality you are looking for.

EDIT: I should add you could also use 'Tracker' in the Accessories menu, but you need to enable indexing in Trackers preferences (Control Center > Other > Search and Indexing) before it will work.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby melchizedek on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:37 am

CavalierBob wrote:You could add to the panel the applet 'Search For Files'. I think this will give you the functionality you are looking for.

EDIT: I should add you could also use 'Tracker' in the Accessories menu, but you need to enable indexing in Trackers preferences (Control Center > Other > Search and Indexing) before it will work.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Tracker took several Millennia to index, but I got there in the end :D
ASUS M2N68 PLUS | AMD Phenom 2.3 GHz x4 64 processor | 3D Fuzion 7600GS nVidia video | Corsair 2GB DDR2 PC-5300 dual channel | BENQ DVD+RW | 500 GB SATA HD (7200) | 250 GB SATA-300 Seagate Barracuda (7200) | Soundblaster Live | Mint 7.0/XP dual boot.
melchizedek
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CavalierBob on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 am

Good deal, glad you got it solved!

If I could ask a favor melchizedek, could you edit your original post and add (Solved) to the Subject?

Thanks!

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lim-Dul on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Maybe not yet - I have another Tracker related question/issue.

I figured out how to use the Tracker Search Tool myself and indexed all relevant files BUT even though the results are shown as numbers in their respective categories in the left panel I can't bring up a list of the hits - the main window remains empty no matter what I do. This is a bug, I suppose, but does anybody know a solution to that one?
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fred on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:03 pm

I have a revolutionary idea! How about using the find command in the CLI? :-)

Example: List all the pictures, searching in the MultiMedia folder and subfolders:

find ./MultiMedia -iname "*.jpg" -or -iname "*.png" -or -iname "*.ttf"

or

Example: Find a document named Auto something in the Data folder.

find ./Data iname "Auto*.odt"

Just an idea. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Lim-Dul on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Because the Tracker Tool has a nice GUI. :-P

On a serious note: the issue I have mentioned above is gone. I did literally nothing. I booted up Linux Mint today and the Tracker Search Tool suddenly works correctly. No, it wasn't indexing anything the last time I launched it so I have absolutely no idea why the results didn't show up in the main window... Apparently a reboot works wonders from time to time in Linux as well. ;-)
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fred on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Lim-Dul,

Sorry my friend. I couldn't help sprinkling a little salt here and there. The devil made me do it. :-)

Seriously though, It is unusual that you would have to reboot to get it to work, but I don't know anything about tracker except it takes forever to index a large data store.

Glad you got it working ok.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Lim-Dul on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah well - I did set it up to index my entire HDD including mounted NTFS partitions (not monitor them, of course) but then the computer was left standing for almost one whole day and by the time I wanted to search something the Tracker was finished. In fact like I said before it DID find some results but they were displayed only in the filter side-pane. I could get the front-end to display any file list. Must be a bug or something. =)
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions