[SOLVED] How do you search the file system?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
melchizedek

[SOLVED] How do you search the file system?

Post by melchizedek »

How do you search your file system in Mint 5.0? If I remember rightly, under Mint 4.0 there was a "Find" feature found in the Elyssa menu, which you could use to search out files using wildcard symbols......*.wav for example. But I can't seem to find out how to do this in Mint 5.0. Any pointers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
melchizedek

Re: How do you search the file system?

Post by melchizedek »

CavalierBob wrote:You could add to the panel the applet 'Search For Files'. I think this will give you the functionality you are looking for.

EDIT: I should add you could also use 'Tracker' in the Accessories menu, but you need to enable indexing in Trackers preferences (Control Center > Other > Search and Indexing) before it will work.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Tracker took several Millennia to index, but I got there in the end :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have a revolutionary idea! How about using the find command in the CLI? :-)

Example: List all the pictures, searching in the MultiMedia folder and subfolders:

find ./MultiMedia -iname "*.jpg" -or -iname "*.png" -or -iname "*.ttf"

or

Example: Find a document named Auto something in the Data folder.

find ./Data iname "Auto*.odt"

Just an idea. :-)

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Lim-Dul,

Sorry my friend. I couldn't help sprinkling a little salt here and there. The devil made me do it. :-)

Seriously though, It is unusual that you would have to reboot to get it to work, but I don't know anything about tracker except it takes forever to index a large data store.

Glad you got it working ok.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”