Text is unreadable because it is very small

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Text is unreadable because it is very small

Postby redsquash on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:23 pm

I had normal text throughout my computer but after installing EnvyNG for a Radeon 9600 adapter all my text in all applications is tiny.
For firefox I can , after about hitting the plus key 7 times get text to normal size , but skype for example is virtually unreadable it is so small.

In windows I would go into the display adapter and be able to adjust the font size very easily.The ATI Catalyst control centre in MINT doesn't offer this

What do I do globally in Linux MINT 5. I mucked around with different settings and after many hour I manged to really screw things up. I then had to do a clean install.

I have no idea about Linux and the jargon I read is just that...pretty meaningless. please explain in clear English so my mother who has Alzheimer's disease could understand :lol:
redsquash
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Text is unreadable because it is very small

Postby Google Spider on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 pm

ummm...have you set up the screen resolution to the native resolution of your monitor? Screen resolution is in preferences.
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 67GTA on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:31 pm

Go to Menu>Preferences>Appearance. Click on the fonts tab and adjust the font sizes to suite. Firefox is uses it's own font settings. Open Firefox, and click on Edit in the toolbar. Select preferences. Select the Content tab. Under the Fonts & Colors section, click the advanced button. Look for a drop down menu that is titled Minimum Font Size and experiment with that until you get the right size.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby redsquash on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:40 pm

Google Spider wrote:ummm...have you set up the screen resolution to the native resolution of your monitor? Screen resolution is in preferences.

Your answer is too simple.........but its the correct answer.
1280 x 1024 was my setting which is what I though I usually had in windows xp.
my mistake

Thanks
redsquash
Level 1
Level 1

Postby redsquash on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:52 pm

redsquash wrote:
Google Spider wrote:ummm...have you set up the screen resolution to the native resolution of your monitor? Screen resolution is in preferences.

Your answer is too simple.........but its the correct answer.
1280 x 1024 was my setting which is what I though I usually had in windows xp.
my mistake

Thanks

Believe it or not I now have the opposite problem!

I Installed ENVYNG to get my ati card going.
NOW I can only get 800 x600 in screen resolution. I would like 1024 X760 or whatever.
I have the Ati Catalyst control centre installed.

It didn't install several time before but now it has

My scrolling is still not smooth and after downloading Dragon player my movies still wont work.
I also have Mplayer
redsquash
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rbanavara on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:26 pm

I think the driver installation is not proper if you cant get resolution is not more than 800x600. Probably someone here with ATI card here would be able to guide you.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Postby redsquash on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Started a new thread called
white screen of death
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13654
redsquash
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions