How do I go about backing up MIINT 5

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I go about backing up MIINT 5

Postby redsquash on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 am

How do I go about backing up my new MINT 5 and downloaded programs, onto a dvd.
Can I then do a system restore from dvd
Can I create system restore points if things fluck up or does that not make sense in LINUX.

My system has already frozen 4 times in less than 24 hours, as a beginner, but I thought the big plus with LINUX was its stability . I have already reinstalled everything
redsquash
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I go about backing up MIINT 5

Postby 67GTA on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:17 pm

You can actually make a live CD of your current installation with remastesys. You can reinstall your current installation from the live CD just like you would install any other distro, except it will have all your stuff there after installing. Add
Code: Select all
deb http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/repository remastersys/
to your sources list
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and it will be in Synaptic after refreshing the repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Google Spider on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:53 pm

I have a slow internet connection, so downloading all software again after a fresh install is a pain in the ass.

What I do is:

Go to /var/cache/apt/archives and copy everything in their to my USB drive. After reinstalling I copy them back there and do sudo apt-get update. Now if I want to install the same software again, apt uses the cache instead of downloading from repos. :mrgreen:
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 67GTA on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Remastersys doesn't make you reinstall any software. Whatever you have installed now will be there when you install from the remastersys live CD. You are reinstalling your exact installation as it is when you make the live CD.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Andy Mack on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:13 pm

Including home directory?
Andy Mack
Level 3
Level 3

Postby 67GTA on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Andy Mack wrote:Including home directory?

Yes.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby redsquash on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:37 pm

So there is no such thing as a system restore as in WIndowXP. Is that what you guys are telling me !
Its all or nothing . Is that the story.
Its a pain to spend more than a good hour and closer to 2 hours to go through the whole process again for perhaps one problem which you cant identify
redsquash
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions