New to LinuxMint - Install ubuntu or debian packages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

New to LinuxMint - Install ubuntu or debian packages

Postby plvera on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:00 am

Hello:

I've recently installed LinuxMint5 on an old Inspiron 7500 (256 RAM) and have been very pleased with the operating system. It has performed exceedingly well and it's a lot easier than the ubuntu distro's that I've tried.

I have installed some software that gives me the option of installing either ubuntu or debian packages (for example: R (statistical software); bibus (bibliographic software)) and I have chosen the ubuntu packages. Is this the correct choice or are debian packages "better" in Linux Mint? Does it make any difference which package I choose?

Thanks for your help and congratulations to the development team!

Pedro
plvera
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to LinuxMint - Install ubuntu or debian packages

Postby 67GTA on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 pm

It shouldn't make any difference. A .deb file will install on any Debian based system like Ubuntu/Mint.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New to LinuxMint - Install ubuntu or debian packages

Postby Lantesh on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:34 am

I've never had a problem installing any .deb packages that I've taken directly from Debian, but if given the choice between a .deb package labeled as being for Ubuntu vs. Debian I'd take the Ubuntu package. I suppose my logic is that Mint is more "genetically" related to Ubuntu, being it's direct descendant.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions