Trouble with all media players

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Trouble with all media players

Postby Google Spider on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:36 am

I'm having this trouble with all my media players. I can't skip forward or backward while playing videos. So far I've tried kaffeine, vlc,totem, Mplayer. Read the bug report for details
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/238785
My very first bug report got rejected :oops:

I'm surprised that only I'm having this kind of problem. So while they fix it, are there any other media players you suggest? I have tried Real Player but it can't play *.avi files that I want to play :wink:

Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trouble with all media players

Postby rivenought on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 am

If you are having the same problem with all of your players, it might be related to a bad/faulty codec that all of the players depend upon. I think that would help in narrowing down where to look. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Google Spider on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 am

Yeah, people were telling me its gstream (or something like that) but I don't know how to identify that plugin and can I reinstall that particular plugin?
Google Spider
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivenought on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I think they are referring to the gstreamer plug-ins. I always found the "good," "bad," and "ugly" designations to be quite hilarious. Anyway, I have never had to uninstall and reinstall the gstreamer plug-ins, but that should be easy enough via Synaptic. Make note of the files you currently have, delete them, and then reinstall them. That is a brief overview of what you have to do. It can probably be done via the command line, but Synaptic probably will work just as well. Since you already have the broken multimedia, I think you will be OK in not worrying about breaking it further. Plus, it never hurts to have practice with a clean-install as a last-ditch effort. :wink: I have not done this exact procedure before, so I cannot guarantee how successful you will be, but it is worth a shot. Good luck!
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rbanavara on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:38 pm

This could also be a limitation with the media... I have seen some wmv files not support skipping.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions