Trouble with all media players

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

Re: Trouble with all media players

Post by rivenought »

If you are having the same problem with all of your players, it might be related to a bad/faulty codec that all of the players depend upon. I think that would help in narrowing down where to look. Good luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I think they are referring to the gstreamer plug-ins. I always found the "good," "bad," and "ugly" designations to be quite hilarious. Anyway, I have never had to uninstall and reinstall the gstreamer plug-ins, but that should be easy enough via Synaptic. Make note of the files you currently have, delete them, and then reinstall them. That is a brief overview of what you have to do. It can probably be done via the command line, but Synaptic probably will work just as well. Since you already have the broken multimedia, I think you will be OK in not worrying about breaking it further. Plus, it never hurts to have practice with a clean-install as a last-ditch effort. :wink: I have not done this exact procedure before, so I cannot guarantee how successful you will be, but it is worth a shot. Good luck!
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

This could also be a limitation with the media... I have seen some wmv files not support skipping.

Return to “Beginner Questions”