Help: Switching desktops.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Help: Switching desktops.

Postby Aurelio_Araujo on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi people!

I'd like to know how to change the desktops in Linux Mint. When I'm using Linux KDE, I only click on 1, 2, 3, or 4 to switch the desktop in which I'm working.
However, I can't do it on Gnome. I wonder if anyone could help me.

Regards,
Aurélio
Aurelio_Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help: Switching desktops.

Postby Helmeci on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:41 pm

okay you need to do a couple things, if you just want to switch desktops its easy, if you want compiz to have the desktop cube. For just switching desktops go to your keyboard shortcuts preferences>keyboard shortcuts , scroll down to the bottom where it says switch to workspace 1 through 4 and you can configure it to whatever keys you want. i personally would recommend using a combination like Ctrl+1 through 4 because if you just do the numbers 1-4 every time you hit that number it will change desktops. If you need any more help just let me know.
-Dean-
Helmeci
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Aurelio_Araujo on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks a million man! You helped me a lot here!!!
:lol:
Aurelio_Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Alternatively, if you're so used to clicking on the panel to switch workspaces: GNOME has this feature, too, but it's not enabled by default in Mint. It takes up quite some space in the panel and I guess it makes sense only if you use two panels - top and bottom - commonly found in other distros using GNOME.
Right click on the panel (a.k.a. task bar) and choose "Add to panel" - you should see the Workspace Switcher applet there.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby joncolson on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Thanks lim-dul. I just switched from Ubuntu and was used to having that on by default. Now I just learned a new trick too!
joncolson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 am

Null problemo - it'll come in handy for any distro that's not configured to your liking. =)
I would hardly call that a trick. ^^
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions