Help: Switching desktops.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Help: Switching desktops.

Postby Aurelio_Araujo on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi people!

I'd like to know how to change the desktops in Linux Mint. When I'm using Linux KDE, I only click on 1, 2, 3, or 4 to switch the desktop in which I'm working.
However, I can't do it on Gnome. I wonder if anyone could help me.

Regards,
Aurélio
Aurelio_Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help: Switching desktops.

Postby Helmeci on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:41 pm

okay you need to do a couple things, if you just want to switch desktops its easy, if you want compiz to have the desktop cube. For just switching desktops go to your keyboard shortcuts preferences>keyboard shortcuts , scroll down to the bottom where it says switch to workspace 1 through 4 and you can configure it to whatever keys you want. i personally would recommend using a combination like Ctrl+1 through 4 because if you just do the numbers 1-4 every time you hit that number it will change desktops. If you need any more help just let me know.
-Dean-
Helmeci
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Aurelio_Araujo on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks a million man! You helped me a lot here!!!
:lol:
Aurelio_Araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Alternatively, if you're so used to clicking on the panel to switch workspaces: GNOME has this feature, too, but it's not enabled by default in Mint. It takes up quite some space in the panel and I guess it makes sense only if you use two panels - top and bottom - commonly found in other distros using GNOME.
Right click on the panel (a.k.a. task bar) and choose "Add to panel" - you should see the Workspace Switcher applet there.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby joncolson on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Thanks lim-dul. I just switched from Ubuntu and was used to having that on by default. Now I just learned a new trick too!
joncolson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 am

Null problemo - it'll come in handy for any distro that's not configured to your liking. =)
I would hardly call that a trick. ^^
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions