Encrypt harddrive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Encrypt harddrive

Postby EPower on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:33 am

Hello,

I want to encrypt my notebook hd with dm-crypt. But since there is no Mint alternate cd, i have to use ubuntu alternate cd, but i dont want to use ubuntu. So my question is, is it possible to encrypt a harddrive this way; http://users.piuha.net/martti/comp/ubun ... tolvm.html and then not to install ubuntu? I mean, when partitions are encrypted i interrupt ubuntu installation and take Mint live cd and install it on encrypted drive? ...so i use ubuntu disc just for formating encrypted partitions

Thanx
EPower
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Encrypt harddrive

Postby Husse on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Well, you forget one half of the equation - does Mint support this encryption - I don't think so
Could be installed perhaps...
There used to be a tutorial about encrypting a disk with Truecrypt written by scorp123 but it seems to have disappeared ... :shock:
I found this though - interesting
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1055&hilit=encrypt
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Fred on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:30 pm

EPower,

I would highly recommend you use TrueCrypt. It is open source, peer reviewed and uses widely accepted, peer reviewed, encryption algorithms.

It has matured quite a bit in the last year or so and offers a number of different options.

And no, I am not in any way connected with them. :-)

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

Securing a notebook to prevent physical access is as close to impossible as anything I can think of. To think you can secure a plastic case with special screws.... well good luck with that! I'll give you a hint. Soldering iron and needle nose pliers. Put it back together with a bigger screw. Even a 10 year old can figure that one out.

The bottom line is that there is no way to secure any computer data if one has physical access to the equipment, except with encryption. Cryptography is the only protection your data has. Anything else is something to sell to the uninformed that will make them feel good.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:54 pm

@ Fred
Agreed - just a funny link by scorp123
Such a shame that the topic about encrypting a disk has disappeared (encrypted itself :))
It was a good tutorial
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions