Encrypt harddrive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Encrypt harddrive

Post by Husse »

Well, you forget one half of the equation - does Mint support this encryption - I don't think so
Could be installed perhaps...
There used to be a tutorial about encrypting a disk with Truecrypt written by scorp123 but it seems to have disappeared ... :shock:
I found this though - interesting
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... it=encrypt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

EPower,

I would highly recommend you use TrueCrypt. It is open source, peer reviewed and uses widely accepted, peer reviewed, encryption algorithms.

It has matured quite a bit in the last year or so and offers a number of different options.

And no, I am not in any way connected with them. :-)

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

Securing a notebook to prevent physical access is as close to impossible as anything I can think of. To think you can secure a plastic case with special screws.... well good luck with that! I'll give you a hint. Soldering iron and needle nose pliers. Put it back together with a bigger screw. Even a 10 year old can figure that one out.

The bottom line is that there is no way to secure any computer data if one has physical access to the equipment, except with encryption. Cryptography is the only protection your data has. Anything else is something to sell to the uninformed that will make them feel good.

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Fred
Agreed - just a funny link by scorp123
Such a shame that the topic about encrypting a disk has disappeared (encrypted itself :))
It was a good tutorial

Return to “Beginner Questions”