lock symbol on folders when copied from dvd

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

lock symbol on folders when copied from dvd

Postby timedragon on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:11 am

Hi; when I copy a file from a dvd to my desktop or home folder in Elyssa ; it is locked and shows the lock symbol. This never happened to me with Daryna. Is there someway to prevent this from happeining. The only way I can delete the files after is through the terminal
thanks
timedragon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: lock symbol on folders when copied from dvd

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 am

You can use chown in a terminal to change owner of the file. It could be because of ownership when burning the file, or just how the DVD is mounted. I would just use chown to changer the owner of the file after copying it:
Code: Select all
sudo chown newowner /path/to/file.extension
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby timedragon on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks, but why would a dvd have different ownership? In windows when you load files from a DVD or cd there is no ownership assigned to it and it didnt do this with Daryna
timedragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:13 am

It depends on how it is mounted, but if you only get some files I am not so sure if it is a mount issue...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby CavalierBob on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:42 am

I have not found it to be an ownership problem as on my Elyssa system the locked file from the DVD will still list my userid as the owner of the file (i.e. NOT root).

My experience has been that the reason for the lock is that the file copied from the DVD has retained the read-only permissions of the DVD. Makes sense, a file on a typical DVD-R should be read-only, not read-write.

On the file in question, right click on it and in the menu that opens select 'Properties". Click on the Permissions tab and at the top you should see the owner listed (your userid) but the access will be Read-only. Click on the Access combobox and change the Access to Read and Write. The lock will disappear.

This seems to be an annoyance in Gnome burning software (at least on LM Elyssa). Both Brasero and Gnomebaker share this...neither retains the original file permissions when burning a data disk. K3B has a (somewhat buried) setting in the Burn dialog box to keep file permissions (backup). Thus I use K3B on Gnome!

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lantesh on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:32 pm

CavalierBob wrote: K3B has a (somewhat buried) setting in the Burn dialog box to keep file permissions (backup).

That sounds great in theory, until you try to use the backup disk in another computer. I'd rather have the permissions stripped out. It's simple enough to restore them after copying the files back to my hard drive.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions