Partitioning for Dual Boot and Development

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Partitioning for Dual Boot and Development

Postby FredJones on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:09 am

I have a new PC with a large hard drive (300 G) onto which I installed Windows 2K. I left unallocated space and I now would like to add LinuxMint, but I inadvertently used 4 primary partitions it seems, and thus I can't add another partition. Luckily, the last partition I made I have not yet really used for anything and so I am happy to remove that one and then add more. Attached is a screen shot describing the partitions existing on my machine. The "Personal (F:)" partition is last and I do not need it.

So, aside from the warnings that repartitioning may cause data loss (I will backup anything I really need) how should I proceed?

I was thinking of an approach that Fred provides in viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872 like this:

swap ----Formatted as swap -----per above rules
/ ----------Formatted as ext3 ------10 – 12 Gig.

Data Partition1 ----Formatted as ext3 -----sized for data
Data Partition2 ----Formatted as ext3 -----sized for data
Data Partition3 ----Formatted as ext3 -----sized for data

but:

1. I am not 100% certain but I think his "Data Partition1" etc. are partitions which are NOT mounted onto anything when I make them? Rather, I mount them when I boot? Is that correct?

2. The other, main, issue is that he says that this is not ideal for development. I am a web developer and use WAMP on my Windows box and of course I need the same for my Linux.

I have installed Linux several times the past month, including LAMP, but the partitioning part I did in a fairly basic way. I am hoping to now be able to stick with LinuxMint, so I would like to do the partitions intelligently, if possible. :)

I plan for 2G swap as I have 2G RAM.

Thanks.
Attachments
partitions.jpg
partitions.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 642 times
FredJones
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partitioning for Dual Boot and Development

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Well this is not going to be easy
No problems deleting F and have a lot of unallocated space - do that right away...
BUT:
The tmp partition D is the extended partition (You should just know how much problems I've got with drive letters....)
Without logical partitions....
To do any partitioning you should have the extended partition at the end i.e. where F is now
I don't think you can change which partition is the extended and this means you have to move D. As there is data in E this will take "forever" (leave it over night ...)
Once you have the extended at the rear you extend it :) to cover the rest of the disk (done in seconds without any partitions present)
Make logical partitions to your need
Swap, Mint and data partitions
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby FredJones on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Hmmm, sounds mildly complicated. How does one move a partition?

What if I said that I could move the E data onto a USB external drive temporarily and then the only partition I need is C. That's the only one I need in reality b/c that has Windows and my apps. The others are just data and can be moved off temporarily (no lack of disk space on my network) if that will make it easier. BUT I would eventually need to have an E: drive in Windows again. I don't care what type or where etc, but I need that drive to work. :)

If I were to do that, then what would you recommend?

And is it possible to suggest a bit more specifically how to setup the data partitions? I am a newbie, heh heh. :)

Thanks!
FredJones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Are you saying that -- at present -- you don't need D: E: or F:? (Yes, copy E: onto an external drive for now). If that is the case just delete all three. Then use an app (see below) to delete and recreate partition E: and copy your data back. Don't delete the backup copy just yet. Also create F: again if you want -- but if you think you might want it at some point in the future, now is the time to make it.

This is the important part. You should have 2 (or 3 including F: if you made it) partitions. Make the last partition on the disk -- all the rest of the space, an Extended partition. From there, make as many partitions as you want as Logical partitions INSIDE the Extended partition. Make 3 at least; one for root, "/", one for home "/home" and one swap "/swap". Make more if you want. The root partition only needs to be about 10 Gigs, and swap 2 times as much as the RAM that you have. If you only create these 3 partitions, they will be labelled as sda5, sda6, and sda7; it doesn't matter if you only have C: & D:, they will be sda1 & sda2; Logical partitions wll always start at "5", as in sda5.

You can use an app called PartedMagic to erase and create all these other partitions. You can download it from Distrowatch.com here:
http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distri ... l&year=all
Click the word Download at the bottom of the description, that will start the download. It's not very big. It is a LiveCD that, after you burn it on a CD from Windows, you can reboot into this and do all you need to do.

Good idea to wait for someone to back me up on this, to make sure I didn't forget a step.

EDIT: Of course, if you have Partition Magic or something similar on your Windows, you can use that if you're familiar with how it works. It would do the job just as well as PartedMagic.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby FredJones on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:23 am

I am understanding now better. I basically need to make whatever Windows partitions I want and then make the last one an Extended Partition so that I can add my LintMinux Logic Partitions in there. That's clear now.

Do I need PartedMagic? Just out of curiosity, will the Windows 2K Disk Manager fail to handle this? It does create/destroy partitions. Perhaps it's not reliable?

And is it not possible to use the LM installer for this? Perhaps a GUI tool will simply be easier for me.

One other question, what type should my large Extended Partition be? swap and / for example seem to require different types. Perhaps I am missing something.
FredJones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tony G on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:12 am

FredJones wrote:Do I need PartedMagic? Just out of curiosity, will the Windows 2K Disk Manager fail to handle this? It does create/destroy partitions. Perhaps it's not reliable?

And is it not possible to use the LM installer for this? Perhaps a GUI tool will simply be easier for me.

You will need either PartedMagic or (my preference) GParted. Windows DM may delete your partitions fine, but as far as making Linux-friendly partitions, you'll need something else.

While you could just use the LM installer, GParted will likely become a part of your "Linux first-aid kit," in case something goes awry (My kit consists of GParted, Super Grub Disk, and a copy of Puppy Linux). Also, GParted has a GUI (as does PartedMagic, I think).

FredJones wrote:One other question, what type should my large Extended Partition be? swap and / for example seem to require different types. Perhaps I am missing something.

An extended partition doesn't have a type; it's merely a vessel for logical partitions. If you create an extended partition, it allows you to create several logical partitions (of varying types) within it.

Also, I think your planned 2G for swap is overkill. Somone who knows more may correct me, but I think that more than 1G just wastes space.

Lastly, if you haven't found them already, you may find this wiki entry helpful, as well as this article on dual-booting.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby FredJones on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 am

OK, I have PartedMagic now. I don't have Puppy but I have Damn Small Linux--I have a penchant for Debian-based distros it seems. :)

No, I had not seen those pages, thank you.

Things are becoming clearer now. :)

Thanks!
FredJones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tony G on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 am

You're quite welcome. I hope you find the Mint community to be a happy home: I only started playing with dual-booting at the end of January, but I liked Mint and the kind folks here so much that deleted my Windows physical partition last weekend.

With PartedMagic and DSL, you're well prepared. If you start experimenting with triple-booting, grap Super Grub Disk: It will automatically fix most borked Grubs. While I've learned how to manually configure Grub, SGD is much less painful.

Regarding "the perfect" partition scheme: Of course, there's a milion roads to Dublin, but there are a couple things that few argue about: What's to the left (in the GUIs) of your drive reads faster than what's to the right, so your / and swap should be as far to the left as circumstances allow, though you should leave your main Windows partition where it is to keep the bootloader happy (others will correct me if I'm wrong).

Best of luck, and welcome again,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions