MMmminty.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

MMmminty.

Postby baronne on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 am

Hi folks,
I've pretty much stepped into Linux now full time. Although I still have a laptop at home with Vista on, my little older HP NC4010 is flying the Linux flag. I have tried out quite a couple of distros over the past couple of years and settled with Ubuntu. I have recently moved lock, stock and barrel to Mint. I was using Mint 4 but for some reason thought I might be missing out on something on Ubuntu 8.04 XFCE - so I slapped that on the ol' laptop and tried it out, but it just didn't have what Mint had. So... I jumped ship again and this time with Mint 5. I must say, so far after a couple of days it is fantastic!
Only one gripe so far, perhaps someone could shed a bit of light on:

When I had Mint 4, I was able, for some reason to use desktop effects, so I had wobbly windows, cubed desktops, etc. This was all good and fun. It's not critical I have them again now, but I am curious as to why I no longer am able to setup desktop effects in 5.

cheers
Baronne
baronne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MMmminty.

Postby Jernau on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:41 am

A couple of questions so we can help you out:

Which graphics card do you have and what are your other system specifications?

Have you used EnvyNG or Restricted Drivers to install the correct drivers for your graphics card? If so, do you know what version was installed?
Jernau
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lim-Dul on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:36 am

I also think that wobbly windows aren't enabled by default. After you have installed the correct drivers (like Jernau said) you have to customize Compiz Fusion using MintMenu -> Preferences -> Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager or Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Zero Prime on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 am

And if that doesn't work, install the Fusion Icon and use the preferences from there.
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Postby baronne on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Jernau wrote:A couple of questions so we can help you out:

Which graphics card do you have and what are your other system specifications?

It's an ATI Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M (I think?!) - that's what the system reports it as....

Have you used EnvyNG or Restricted Drivers to install the correct drivers for your graphics card? If so, do you know what version was installed?

I tried the manual install on EnvyNG which used the version 8-3 which I don't think worked very well 'cos it restarted and couldn't find my graphics adapter and so was prompted to choose. The resolution was all messed up.. so it didn't work so well....
baronne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby baronne on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Zero Prime wrote:And if that doesn't work, install the Fusion Icon and use the preferences from there.

Hi... what do you mean "Install the Fusion Icon"?

cheers
Baronne
baronne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby baronne on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:36 pm

baronne wrote:
Zero Prime wrote:And if that doesn't work, install the Fusion Icon and use the preferences from there.

Hi... what do you mean "Install the Fusion Icon"?

cheers
Baronne

Nevermind... I got ya... I installed the fusion-icon app from the synaptic package manager.
All seems to be behaving now...
sweet.

One more quick question... I think my video mode is mesa - would that be suitable in simple 3D games?
baronne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions