Real Time Kernel & Elyssa - Bugs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Real Time Kernel & Elyssa - Bugs?

Postby nickk9 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:07 am

I've just changed from Ubuntu Studio to Linux Mint and wanted to use the real time kernel, as I get poor video performance with the generic kernel. I read elsewhere on these forums and simply did a "sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt", which installed it nicely and made the relevant entries in grub. So far so good.

After rebooting into the RT kernel, the first thing i noticed was the mintUpdate with a broken padlock. If I click on it & enter my password it works ok, at least until i reboot (this happens every time, but not with the Generic Kernel)

More seriously, after a period of minutes (everything works fine up to this point), the hard drive goes into melt down, and it takes 5 minutes to respond to a mouse click!

I've attached a screen shot from the "top" command, showing many pythons attacking the memory (which if you add it up its 152.5% memory usage :) ??), so i assume it's the swap causing a slow down.

I think it's mintUpdate thats triggering it, but don't know how to narrow down the problem any further.

I'm running this (Elyssa) as a guest in Vmware Player virtual machine, if any body would like to see if they can duplicate it.

(keep a terminal open with "killall -v python" just in case!)

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
nickk9
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Real Time Kernel & Elyssa - Bugs?

Postby nickk9 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am

Heres screenshot i was going to attach to first post:)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6514 ... al1kg2.png
nickk9
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Are you using Elyssa or Daryna? Try removing mintMenu from the panel, untick mintUpdate in sessions and reboot, see if that helps.
If it does, try to activate them one at the time, just to see which one is causing it.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby nickk9 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:47 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'd already disabled mintMenu and was using the gnome menu. I disabled mintUpdate, rebooted, and so far no problems (for the vmware machine)

I tried this on my laptop and after installing the RT kernel, i lost my network connections (nm-applet not starting?) and the display reverted to 800x600, not recognizing the graphics card or monitor (was using NVidia proprietary drivers).

On the vmmachine i've reinstalled the update-manager package, but no icon in the tray area.

I've reverted to UbuntuStudio on my laptop for the time being, but I'll keep playing as i prefer Mint!

Thanks again.
nickk9
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions