Daryna kinda, Elyssa kinda...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Daryna kinda, Elyssa kinda...

Postby NickVL on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Let me preface this by saying "I am extremely new to Linux."
I have an old HP laptop with a Trident Video card and Belkin PCMCIA wireless card. When I tried Daryna my video worked fine, but I could not get my wireless to work. Now in Elyssa my wireless works fine, but my video resolution only goes to 800x600. I really, like Mint, but I can't get everything to work. Please help me! If the wireless is an easier fix, I am fine with Daryna. Can I get the wireless... (drivers/firmware) from Elyssa to work in Daryna? I have searched and found supposed solutions, but could not get them to work probably because of my lack of experience. Any help is appreciated.
NickVL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Daryna kinda, Elyssa kinda...

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Post the output of
Code: Select all
lspci

need a bit more specific information about your wireless and graphic card
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby NickVL on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:08 pm

Here is what I got;
00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1647 Northbridge [MAGiK 1 / MobileMAGiK 1] (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to AGP Controller
00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
00:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
00:06.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533/M1535 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV/V/V+]
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12)
00:08.1 Communication controller: ESS Technology ESS Modem (rev 12)
00:0f.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c3)
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet Adapter (rev 11)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/XP (rev 63)
06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

Thank you, I was not sure where to start.
NickVL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NickVL on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:11 pm

I can install the windows driver using the ndis wrapper fine, but the radio for my wireless will not turn on. I should probably mention I am using Mint 4.0 KDE Community (Daryna) and the newest Elyssa CD install.
NickVL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NickVL on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 am

Ah hah! I got everything to work in Elyssa. Monitor now displays at native 1024x768 and my wireless is now working! This was NOT easier/simpler then Windows. We will see if it was worth the effort...
I ended up using
    sudo displayconfig-gtk
and setting the display & adaptor manually. I was not aware I needed to restart the computer- I read linux did not require restarts for changes to take effect... liar...
NickVL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12 am

Linux doesn't require a restart after each update like Windows, but some changes requires updates, especially services that is running, and is critical for running the system.
In example, if you update your network daemon in Linux, it will just restart it, no reboot required. Windows will make you reboot. Changing X settings means X needs to be restarted, you can just press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lantesh on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 pm

NickVL wrote:Ah hah! I got everything to work in Elyssa. Monitor now displays at native 1024x768 and my wireless is now working! This was NOT easier/simpler then Windows. We will see if it was worth the effort...
I ended up using
    sudo displayconfig-gtk
and setting the display & adaptor manually. I was not aware I needed to restart the computer- I read linux did not require restarts for changes to take effect... liar...

Where did you read setting up anything in Linux is supposed to be easier than Windows? I've never seen any Linux distribution make that claim. I hope you find it to be worth it. Linux is far more powerful than Windows if you are willing to learn. Also next time just restart x-windows as was already mentioned.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions