There is not enough space on the destination

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Postby drling1 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:40 pm

I am using Daryna and I have a USB Filesystem type: vfat. However, when I install my USB I get a false reading as to the amount of data on the disk.

When I right click on properties it tells me that I have:

Contents: 9400 items, totalling 26.8 GB

93.1 gigs used
45.6 gigs free
Total capacity 93.1 gig

Therefore when I try to copy from my computer to my USB I get the message:

Error while copying to "/media/disk"

When I use the USB on Windows it works ok and it tells me that I have about 66 gigs free.

Just to give a little context - I used to run Ubuntu for about a year and I always had trouble with permissions on USB's. Actually it was a problem I never really solved. I hope that this is easier to solve and ther eis something basic I have missed as I have only use Linux Mint for about a month.

Thanks in advance.
drling1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: There is not enough space on the destination

Postby rivenought on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:44 pm

It is possible that there is a hidden trash folder on that drive. You might have to empty the trash before it will load new data. I may be wrong, but it might be worth a minute to verify for your self. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Re: There is not enough space on the destination

Postby drling1 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I burned (or is it burnt) a load of stuff off last night on my Windows computer and emptied the Trash. That was where I got my reading of about 66 gigs free.

Love
drling1
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions