Learning how to set up a web server

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Learning how to set up a web server

Postby jeremiah2329 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Howdy!
I am trying to learn how to set up a web server on Linux Mint. This is primarily going to be for a learning experience - not major web hosting. Ultimately I want to be able to install and learn how to administrate Joomla for our office website.

I am still running Daryna at this point - but might upgrade to Elyssa if that would be better for this process.

So far i have installed apache, php and mysql (upgrade) from the packet manager.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a tutorial that would help me learn how to set things up from this point.

Also - is there a different version of Mint that I should be using? (a server edition)
jeremiah2329
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Learning how to set up a web server

Postby chiskop on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:25 am

Hey jeremiah,

No need for a specific server ed. just to learn and if you're not planning real web hosting.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP will take you through the steps of installing (which you've done) and setting up your server.

Have fun!
chiskop
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions