mint backup problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

mint backup problem

Postby kman14 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 am

i recently swapped over from ubuntu to mint (daryna).
i used mintbackup to save my home folder and then did a fresh install of elyssa.
i can't get mintbackup to work now.
when i open up the back-up it says it's "opening the archive" and stays like that for an hour before saying that there's an error and it can't open the tar.gz file.
does anyone know how to fix this?
i can't seem to find much about "mintbackup" anywhere.
the file size is about 50gig - could that be the problem?

any help is much appreciated.
kman14
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint backup problem

Postby subslug on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:37 am

Wow 50 gb could be a problem, not sure but I always get an error with backup if I simply double click the saved file.
If I right click and tell it to open with mint backup then it normally works for me.
I've used backup several times now and I've always been able to get a good backup/restore but, I try to keep my file size below 500mb.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ajscott123 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm having the same problem and I do have some fairly important files in my backup (Newly upgraded to Elyssa, from Daryna). Hopefully an administrator will notice our woes and give us a little insight (and hopefully a solution) on this mintBackup problem/error.
Ajscott123
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:45 pm

You might want to take a look at my back-up/restore and clean-up script in the How-to section of this forum. It is at version 1.4a and works very well for me.

It has a number of features and tries to be flexible to meet lots of different needs.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions