Ping Requests?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Karti

Ping Requests?

Post by Karti »

Hi all.

Just to say really enjoying Mint.

I have one problem at the moment. I normally run Shields Up from GRC to check the security of my PC. Normally with Linux distros I have no issues at all. However I am failing on the following:

- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

The full report is below. Not being that up with internet security with Linux, is there a way to stop this happening?

Many thanks

K
;)

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2008-06-19 at 11:52:29

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ping Requests?

Post by 67GTA »

I usually install firestarter. It is a GUI app to configure the iptables(firewall). If you poke around in the settings, it has the option to allow or reject this among other things.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Beginner Questions”