Best Way to Install Linux Mint 15?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sonofadoc

Best Way to Install Linux Mint 15?

Post by sonofadoc »

I’ve been scratching my head while researching the many different tutorials out there (my head hurts!) trying to discover the best way to install Mint 15 on/in my Windows 7 OS.

I recently installed it on a USB flash drive using the Universal-USB-Installer (Pendrive) tool from Pendrivelinux.com. I was able to install it on my hard drive as a dual boot from there – so far so good – pretty straightforward.

The only thing I didn’t like - is that it booted from inside Mint rather than from inside Windows. Like this:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/y4Neot2.jpg[/img]

What I’m asking about here is the mint4win Wubi based installer. I used the Wubi installer on a copy of Ubuntu I had installed on the same OS and the dual boot looked like this, which is what I want:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/00smbOf.jpg[/img]

I found a video tutorial that showed a slick GUI (mint4win) and the install looked simple and straightforward for Mint 14. The problem is the video was in German and was installing Mint 14 and I don’t know if the Mint 14 solution will work for 15. I haven’t been able to find the installer period (except for Ubuntu) - let alone for Mint 15.
Where can I get a mint4win installer that will work for Mint 15? A complete tutorial would be nice too!

Any suggestions, directions, corrections would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sonofadoc

Re: Best Way to Install Linux Mint 15?

Post by sonofadoc »

Oh, I was watching that German video tutorial again and it looks like you have to have a CD that has mint4win on it.
passerby

Post by passerby »

sonofadoc wrote:The only thing I didn’t like - is that it booted from inside Mint rather than from inside Windows.
What happens is, Mint installs Grub (the bootloader) and your PC boots through that instead of the Windows one.
You can avoid this behavior without mint4win by telling Mint not to install Grub during the Mint installation. Just a checkbox to uncheck after the partitioning part of the install, IIRC.
If you do that, you'll then need to use a tool like [url=http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/]EasyBCD[/url] (free for non-commercial use) on Windows to add an entry to the Windows bootloader for the Mint install.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

sonofadoc wrote:Oh, I was watching that German video tutorial again and it looks like you have to have a CD that has mint4win on it.
From what I can see you have it installed correctly. Why would you want to install the mint4win in windows now :?: There's no reason for it :!:
sonofadoc

Post by sonofadoc »

Thanks passerby, I’ve installed Easy BCD so I’ll go about the install that way. I appreciate the info.

So WharfRat, the reason I want to re-install Mint is I did have a problem on the last install. The Mint operating system worked great, but when I would restart out of Mint and boot back into Win7 I would lose my Internet connection. I can’t figure out how that could be, but it happened every time I moved out of Mint and booted back into Win7.

I couldn’t figure out how to fix it in Windows so I’d have to go to a restore point to before the time I booted into Mint and voila! – I had my Internet connection back.
So the long and short of it is I uninstalled Mint and now I’m going to try again, but I want the dual boot different this time.

Someone mentioned something I could do in the command line, so if I have the same problem this time I’m a little bit more prepared to deal with it hopefully.

Return to “Beginner Questions”