Some questions about Fluxbox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Some questions about Fluxbox

Postby jacatone on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:04 am

Have Fluxbox installed. Updated the video drivers and everything looks good except the overall fonts are really tiny. Anyone know how to adjust them? Also, how do you copy files to the desktop? Every time I try, it just bounces back to the source. How do you change wallpapers in this distro? Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some questions about Fluxbox

Postby t.burn on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Actually there are a couple of things that need to be done for the anti aliased fonts. The anti aliased fonts will improve the appearance and look larger. If you want to just change the size; you can use the override file.

Code: Select all
1) Reconfigure a fonts package.  (a debian thing)
2) Create a dot file (.xresources, .xsession, .x*, its an xorg thing)  I have to check.

Currently I am not on my Mint machine. I will post a follow up a little later today.

With respect to wall paper; it depends on your Window Manager (FB) / Desktop Environment (Gnome / KDE). Is it safe to guess that you want to change wallpaper under fluxbox?

PS: Fluxbox changed the way fonts are handled in the .9x version. FB use to handle the fonts directly and could be made anti-aliased in the FB config files. As of .9x series of FB, the handling of fonts gets passed over to the OS.

PSS: My next post will contain all the details.

Regards,
T.burn
t.burn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Some questions about Fluxbox

Postby t.burn on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello,
To improve your fonts appearance and size perform the following actions. After running the below command you will be brought through a series of menus. In each menu; select the following items. Basically the section listed below is telling your system to make your fonts look nice.

1) sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config
 a) select Font tuning method on screen: Autohinter
 b) Enable subpixel rendering for screen: Automatic
 c) Enable bitmapped fonts by default: Yes

The second item to complete is telling your Fluxbox to use the above changes.
2) Create a text file in your home directory called ".Xresources" without the quotes.  Your home directory is: /home/Your_Name.  So the  file would be written to: /home/Your_Name/.Xresources
 a) Inside that file you want to add the following lines.
xrdb -load -merge: ~/.Xresources
xrdb -merge -load: ~/.Xdefaults
!xrdb -load -merge: ~/.Xsessionrc
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.rgba: rgb

b) Save  the above  changes to the file.

Now for the changes to take effect; you can either
a) Reboot
b) Restart xorg by hitting control + alt + backspace key.

Restarting xorg will kill any and all applications. Just reboot and your fonts will be looking good.

To set up custom fonts you can use the style file. The "overlay" file is an override to the current fluxbox style settings. Here is a link to the information about the overlay / override file:

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Overlay

Using the overlay file typically requires that you put an entry for each font setting. Basically you have a fine grain of control making various font changes to the theme. Personally I don't use the overlay because:
Your preferred font may clash with the style. Because you use a different font and how the placement works, the style will not match. So you wind up making several theme files.

Keep me posted on your results.
Regards,
T.burn
t.burn
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions