Upgrade on Synaptic

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Upgrade on Synaptic

Postby catalyst on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:54 am

If i upgrade all the packages on synaptic using the "mark all upgrades" watsit and then applying will it mess up mint?

Catalyst
:)
catalyst
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrade on Synaptic

Postby 67GTA on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:31 am

It is possible. Update at your own risk. Only level 1 & 2 updates from mintupdate are tested as safe. You will get opinions from both sides on this subject. Some users have applied all updates with no problems, while some start having a lot of bugs afterwards.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenought on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:59 am

OK, my turn to chime in. You may have the greatest success with using mintUpdate and the default levels. As your skills grow with Linux Mint, you can then experiment with the more advanced methods of updating. Just my opinion, though.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:26 pm

I have used two dist-upgrades, no issues at all, but this is more system dependent. If you are not about what you are doing, it is probably best to leave it alone :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 pm

If you can't fix it, (or don't want to), don't break it.

If you upgrade with synaptic you run the risk of breaking it. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions