user can't log in only root

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

user can't log in only root

Postby goth mneph on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 pm

I performed a mint update last night. things have been acting a little quirky :roll: any ways so I logged off. once i tried to log back in the screen would go blank and then would return to the main menu. After several aggravating tries, :x i decided to try root. the system jumped right into root with no problems so i logged out again and tired my main user, still no go. :( I'm thinking of downloading mint5 and trying my luck at Gnome, I'm not a big gnome fan but if it will be less of a head ache then what the hey.

also i have an Epson 4450 printer I can't get working either, but that's another whole adventure.

any suggestions for a KDE lover would be super.

D
goth mneph
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: user can't log in only root

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Mint 5 KDE version isn't out yet. How did you update to it?

If you tried to update from Mint 4 KDE CE version to Mint 5 Gnome version, there is no wonder you are having problems.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions