back to 4.0

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

back to 4.0

Postby zipidachimp on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 pm

I really like 4.0, and have gone back after a bad experience with 5.0.
I have 2 boxes, one with a CRT monitor, one with an LCD. the older one with the crt appears to work ok with 5.0, but realplayer after installing, can't be found?
the newer box with the lcd in both live and installed form generates nothing but diagonal black and white lines on the entire screen. unusable.
also, what happened to the beautiful backgrounds? I ended up using 'asphalt' on the crt, and the icons are way too big.
for me anyway, 4.0 just floats my boat, and looks good doing it. ciao! :D
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: back to 4.0

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 pm

zipidachimp,

As you have discovered, staying on the cutting edge has a price.

I'll tell you what I do. For my wife's install I never upgrade to the latest version for at least several months after a release. To give everything a chance to settle down and stabilize. No beta testing will ever discover the bugs that a general release does.

For me, I upgrade knowing that it will probably break and I will have to fix it. I enjoy doing this. If it doesn't break I am a pleasantly surprised.

It is your perspective that needs to be adjusted to coincide with the way life is. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: back to 4.0

Postby zipidachimp on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 am

touche' ! i'll use the older box to live on the edge, but the newer stuff stays with 4.0 !! 8)
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions