Backing up Bookmarks and email

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Backing up Bookmarks and email

Postby pauloates on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Where are Firefox bookmarks and Thunderbird e-mail files stored please? I had to copy these manually before doing a clean upgrade to Elyssa but would like to e prepared before next upgrade - also I like to backup to an external hard drive regularly. Elyssa was a really easy upgrade and found all my hardware - just needed a graphics driver via Envy though at least the default screen was usable. Paul Oates
pauloates
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Backing up Bookmarks and email

Postby Fred on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 pm

pauloates

Your Firefox bookmarks and and Thunderbird e-mail stores are in your /home folder. They are in a hidden folder called .mozilla

Copy this folder to a safe place and you can import your bookmarks and e-mail back into your new install.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Backing up Bookmarks and email

Postby grombor on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:06 am

I personally backup my bookmarks and settings the easiest way possible. I don't back them up! When I set up linux mint the first time in Cassandra I portioned my hard drives into 4 separate primary partitions. I have my swap partition, root partition, ntfs / winbloze partition, and my /home partition. It is so nice this way because the only partition that I format now is my root partition on a clean install. I have an external where I have a backup in case of a catastrophe, but with a separate /home partition it all stays intact from upgrade, to upgrade, to upgrade....... :D
And from the Gods we've stolen pi
Two times again our radii
The glyphs of men and mice we read
The darkness in our souls stampede

Ut Consumptus Animus
grombor
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions