Creating Mount Points

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Creating Mount Points

Postby grombor on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:07 am

I am not totally new to Linux, but my knowledge of it's workings is limited. I know I have a file called Fstab. I know it is used to mount (access) media devices. My question is this. I have a Maxtor external hard drive. I wish to mount it at boot in my home directory under a folder called Maxtor_External. I believe I need to sudo gedit fstab and change / add commands but I have no Idea what to change or add, or if this is the only file I have to alter. At this moment I believe it is being auto mounted like plugging in a thumb drive, or a digital camera. Thanks for the help. I love mint!
And from the Gods we've stolen pi
Two times again our radii
The glyphs of men and mice we read
The darkness in our souls stampede

Ut Consumptus Animus
grombor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Creating Mount Points

Postby grombor on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:56 am

I found the answer to my own question after continuing my search in google. Anyone that needs Fstab knowledge, this website is wonderful. http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Ok, I have a new question now. I have my drive mounted in my home folder under the folder I created, but I guess it is still mounted auto magikly? (That's what a friend of mine called it) I'm kind of anal about my file structure and a particular kind of dork, does anyone know how to remove auto magik mounting devices I tell it not to mount and let my Fstab do the work for it? Thanks a billion.
And from the Gods we've stolen pi
Two times again our radii
The glyphs of men and mice we read
The darkness in our souls stampede

Ut Consumptus Animus
grombor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Creating Mount Points

Postby deadguy on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:17 am

are you talking about the drive icon in "computer"?
it probably points to your new mount in your home folder.
click it and see....

cheers Uncle Grombie :twisted:
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions