Switching keyboard layouts?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Switching keyboard layouts?

Postby jschall on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 am

I live in Québec.

To type that "é", I had to open a terminal, and type "setxkbmap ca". To switch back, so I could type the quotes, I had to enter "setxkbmap us" at the command line.

There HAS to be a better way, but I have been searching the User Guide, the Wiki and this Forum for the past hour without any luck.

I have edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to:

Option "XkbLayout" "us ca"

but I'm not sure that is correct.

I have added the layout indicator to the panel, and it displays the current layout as either Can or USA.

But I would ideally like to configure a keyboard shortcut to toggle the two layouts, as I was able to do in the OpenGEU (E17) window manager. Something like ALT-SHIFT-1 for us, and ALT-SHIFT-2 for ca.

Any suggestions?

- Jeff Schallenberg
Saint Lambert, Québec
jschall
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Switching keyboard layouts?

Postby rivenought on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:27 am

Have you tried using the French keyboard layout instead of the US/Canada one? It might be worth a try.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Switching keyboard layouts?

Postby jschall on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:45 am

I found the answer in "Keyboard Preferences/Layouts/Layout Options/Layout Switching", where you can select from among about 30 different key combos to switch layouts. I chose ALT+SHIFT, so I can now easily type "/" and "é" with the same key :-)

As for the "fr" keyboard - no, thanks, rivenought! I'm used to the Canadian layout, and the French one is too weird for me!

- Jeff
jschall
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions