[Solved] Lost Trash desktop icon !

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Lost Trash desktop icon !

Postby .nox on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi guys,

The Trash icon on my desktop is gone although I checked the "Trash" icon in mintDesktop. I tried to uncheck it and recheck it in mintDesktop, but the icon will not appear on the desktop. What's going on ?

Regards

EDIT :

It ended up being that I placed the Trash icon at the bottom right of the screen when I set my resolution at 1400x1050 and when I switched to 1280x800 the Trash icon went of the resolution's scope. Just noticed this as I switched back to 1400x1050.

Regards !
Last edited by .nox on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.nox
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lost Trash desktop icon !

Postby larryfroot on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:52 pm

One way you may have of getting the trash can back on your desktop is to go to gnome configuration editor - enter sudo gconf-editor into the terminal. From there tick on the little arrow next to apps. Go down to nautilus and open that up in the same way. then go to desktop and see if the 'trash icon visible' box is ticked. if not, tick it. If it is ticked, uncheck it and exit the editor. then open upp the editor again and navigate back to where you were and tick the relevant box. this may refresh the icon. logging out and back in might help if its still missing. Good luck. Let us know how it went! Thanks. oh if you are still stuck you can at least right click on the gnome panel along the top of the screen. Scroll down to Deleted Items. Clicking add down at the botttom of the little window it appears in will add a trash can icon to your panel. At least you can access your trash that way until a better way is found to get your desktop icon back.
larryfroot
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions