Installing applications and softwares on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installing applications and softwares on Linux Mint

Postby Saladin on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi. I am a newbie on Linux Mint. I have this problem. Anytime when i download an application or software its packed and it goes to the archive something like the Winzip/Winrar which is in Windows. So when i download it and pack it out i see lot of files, but none of them is the installer for the software and if there is one of those files is called "installer" its a picture.

How can i install softwares? I cant even install Firefox 3 without getting it in packages which goes to a archive which unzips it.
Saladin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing applications and softwares on Linux Mint

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi Saladin,

Welcome to mint.
It doesn't work this way in Linux.
The best thing for you is to read the user guide, just click the link in my signature. :wink:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions