Selecting Avatar [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Selecting Avatar [Solved]

Postby dnmint on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:23 am

I find that I can use Flags - default Avatar only. In Ubuntu I can browse files to select one picture of my choice. Is it not possible in Mint.
I find there is a URL option. How do I use this
Last edited by dnmint on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Selecting Avatar

Postby CavalierBob on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:56 am

Resize the image you wish to use to a size under the maximum size listed (120x120 I think). You can then upload the image to a site such as ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us/) or one of the many other such sites. Then just post the URL to the avatar in the space provided on the page in your profile.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Or use the totally free http://www.imgx.org - no registration - no strings - just image storage for free!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby dnmint on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Zwopper wrote:Or use the totally free http://www.imgx.org - no registration - no strings - just image storage for free!

i tried the following. It says URL is invalid while I try install Avatar
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rfc6ck&s=3
Help
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CavalierBob on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm

I use the "direct link" code from Imaageshack. It appears that Tinypic offers the same thing.

The other thing I did was I told the Mint forum to resize the pic I use to 100x100. Until I did these 2 things, I was getting the same type of error. Not sure which one, if either, really was the trick to get the pic to work as an avatar. But that is what I did and it worked.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Selecting Avatar [SOLVED]

Postby dnmint on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:12 pm

CavalierBob wrote:I use the "direct link" code from Imaageshack. It appears that Tinypic offers the same thing.

The other thing I did was I told the Mint forum to resize the pic I use to 100x100. Until I did these 2 things, I was getting the same type of error. Not sure which one, if either, really was the trick to get the pic to work as an avatar. But that is what I did and it worked.

Bob

Thanks. I did the same It worked
:D
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions