Xfce window and toolbar/panel help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Xfce window and toolbar/panel help

Postby evil_jester91 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:42 am

Hi, all been looking around various Linux distros for a abit now while using Mint 15 cinnamon edition as my main OS and started to give the LXDE version a go loving it so far just one slight problem im getting with both cinnamon edition and XFCE edition in some windows there are buttons i cant press at the bottom of the window because my panel/toolbar is covering them and i cant move the window up any further than the top of the screen.

Is there a way to make it so my windows dont go past my panel/toolbar at the bottom of my desktop? so all of the window is showing?

Hope that all makes sense as im useless at explaining things/problems and sorry for the bad grammar

thanks
evil_jester91
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Xfce window and toolbar/panel help

Postby gordintoronto on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Hold down the Alt key and you can move the window up, then adjust the height of the window.
gordintoronto
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Xfce window and toolbar/panel help

Postby MtnDewManiac on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Right-click on a panel. Select Panel Preferences. Pick the panel that you are wishing to change the settings for. Uncheck "Don't reserve space on borders."

That should do what you are wanting to do.

Better still (IMO), do the above and then also check "Lock panel" and "Automatically show and hide the panel." The former will remove those "handles" that allow one to grab the panel and move it around (something most of us probably don't do on a daily basis anyway) but take up extra space. The latter will make the panel appear when you move the mouse cursor to the screen border and disappear when you are finished using it - which means maximized application windows actually use the entire screen.

In addition to allowing you to use the entire screen, making the panels autohide means that you can increase their size without worrying about losing screen real-estate. I like to set my panels to a size of 40 pixels or thereabouts.

Regards,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user. Running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce (with Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs). I have the best modern OS and it runs on my really old hardware, lol.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions