Frequent (and fatal) crashes..........

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Frequent (and fatal) crashes..........

Postby Skyfox on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:58 am

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, however I'm a 'newbie' of sorts, and I can't find a suitable bug reporting forum!

Some background - I've been a Ubuntu user for about 2 years (including some time with the Kubuntu KDE interface, until it just became horrible and as unstable as anything)

I fresh installed Mint 4 on my laptop, and as it's a little under-powered for the whole Compiz stuff I run it 'clean' with no effects. It's fantastic, stable, and a real pleasure to use.

Now, I have recently acquired a big fat Intel Core 2 Duo desktop with 2 gig of RAM, so I figure I can happily run Mint 5 with a smattering of Compiz effects.

Problem is, it's far less stable than Mint 4 for me. There are two serious and recurring problems, and a kernel issue.

The latest Kernel (.18 for me, anyhow) which is first choice on my GRUB, does not recognise any wireless networks (and I'm guessing not my Linksys USB wireless dongle)

So I boot from the previous (.16) kernel, and everything is fine.

This is a mere annoyance.

However, resizing windows under Mint 5 is a gamble, as every once in about 5 attempts results in a total system freeze - no ctrl/alt/backspace fun for me! Nada. The mouse pointer moves (although it remains changed to the window resizing shape, if you know what I mean) but nothing else works.

Except hard-powering off. Not nice for my machine.

A 'new' problem has just arrived this week - I use Ktorrent as my bittorrent client (I used Deluge on my laptop until total failure, despite full removal and re-install, and Ktorrent works fine on the laptop under Mint 4)

It crashed, horribly, under Mint 5 on my desktop and now when I try to launch it, Mint 5 just kicks me out of my session and returns to the login screen

This ALSO happens with Amarok, so I'm guessing there's some problem with the repositories for these KDE apps - I know Mint is a GNOME interface but these programs are available from the Mint software portal, and they run without a hitch under Mint 4.

I'm getting a little frustrated with this, and considering 'basic' Ubuntu or even openSUSE.

Any thoughts?

All help appreciated!
Skyfox
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Frequent (and fatal) crashes..........

Postby rbanavara on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:52 am

hmmm, I can only comment on resize part... just try resizing from a live CD (If you are already trying from live CD, I will leave this as well for others to take!).
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MagnusB on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:43 am

The wireless is probably due to the newer kernel. What driver are you using? And what graphics card are you using? I guess most of your issues is related to your driver.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Skyfox on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:15 pm

rbanavara wrote:hmmm, I can only comment on resize part... just try resizing from a live CD (If you are already trying from live CD, I will leave this as well for others to take!).

Sorry rbanavara - I´ve re-read my post and I´m not clear enough.

When I talk about windows resizing I actually mean changing the physical size of graphical windows on the screen (e.g. resizing my firefox, for example, somewhere between minimum and maximum sizes on the screen).

That´s what causes the freeze - fortunately I´ve never had any problems resizing the MS Windows partition, which I think you´re referring to.

MagnusB wrote:The wireless is probably due to the newer kernel. What driver are you using? And what graphics card are you using? I guess most of your issues is related to your driver.

MagnusB - thanks, I´m pretty sure it is the kernel with respect to the wireless. I have no idea which wireless driver I am using! Whichever one came with the previous kernel, and changed with the new one I guess!!

How do I make sure my driver is fully up to date and works with the new kernel I guess is the question.

Graphics card is bog-standard Intel 950 - I always thought the Intel cards were very well supported under Linux.

I know this is blasphemy, however after a full de-crapify of my Vista install, it´s actually working pretty well!

So at the moment I´m Vista on my desktop, and Mint 4.0 on my laptop, and it´s a situation that´s working fine for me (added to the fact that I use a lot of Adobe design products, for which - gimp aside - there are no equivalent Linux apps with the power and usefulness of the CS3 suite. InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, DreamWeaver etc. It´s full commercial software, and clearly cost a lot to write, so I would have no objection *gasp* paying for it if it was a full port - running under VM or wine just makes no sense if it´s a native app - and memory intensive at that - dual boot seems to be the best option. anyhoo, I digress)

I think I´ll leave Linux on the desktop alone for now, and revisit in a few months.

Thanks for the time to reply to the post guys.
Skyfox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:40 pm

I think the kernel upgrade did it in. Strange if you have open source drivers on both wireless and graphics it *shouldn't* be any issues. I have done 2 kernel upgrades on my laptop, using all open source drivers, not 1 issue. I had 1 kernel panic (Linux's version of BSOD), but it hasn't happened since that, so I haven't bothered trying to track it down.
Try doing a fresh install, and use mintUpdate's default settings and only use mintUpdate to handle updates..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rbanavara on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:07 am

When I talk about windows resizing I actually mean changing the physical size of graphical windows on the screen

Erm! I was completely off the track...! thanks for clarifying...
I wont be of much help here... :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions