Compiz, Fusion or Beryl?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Compiz, Fusion or Beryl?

Postby cyanide911 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 pm

What does Mint Elyssa have pre-installed? Compiz or Compiz Fusion or Beryl?
cyanide911
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz, Fusion or Beryl?

Postby cyanide911 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:05 pm

No one knows?
cyanide911
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Since Compiz and Beryl has merged and become Compiz Fusion, the answer should be obvious. Both Compiz and Beryl is discontinued, IIRC.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lim-Dul on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:41 pm

MagnusB wrote:Since Compiz and Beryl has merged and become Compiz Fusion, the answer should be obvious. Both Compiz and Beryl is discontinued, IIRC.

You're right. I read some stuff on different compositing window managers recently and indeed Beryl was a (n advanced) fork of Compiz and they re-merged under the name Compiz Fusion.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby waellerbe on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 pm

MagnusB wrote:Since Compiz and Beryl has merged and become Compiz Fusion, the answer should be obvious. Both Compiz and Beryl is discontinued, IIRC.

I would like to add another "Amen" in this interesting discussion thread. Beryl is definitely old news, and Compiz Fusion is the way to go. After a "clean install" of Linux Mint 5, Compiz Fusion is known to work after you activate the "Restricted Driver" for your graphics card. On my Compaq Presario V2630US laptop, I have the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics technology, 2GB of RAM and the AMD Turion64 processor. After a few system updates, compliments of Linux Mint, I developed a love right from the start.

Here's one way to test Compiz Fusion:

1) Press and hold the CTRL and ALT keys
2) Press on the down arrow on your keyboard

This little trick will allow you to glance at 3 virtual desktops on your system. Truth be told, I can say so many good things regarding Compiz Fusion. It is LIKE THAT in my book.
waellerbe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 am

And I can add a PS to the amen. :-D

I just realized that since Compiz Fusion is only enabled after you install some drivers for your graphics card, just like waellerbe explained, it actually ISN'T the default window manager in Mint - immediately after a fresh installation you'll be greeted by Metacity (in the GNOME version). :-D
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 am

Once you got the correct drivers, Compiz is default. Since my laptop is completely open source (on the driver side) I have desktop effects enabled out of the box. But another note is that CF is still below v 1.0 (stable), current version is 0.7.6, not sure what Mint comes shipped with though.
But I must say I am pretty impressed with this release of Compiz, almost every plugin works flawlessly on my Intel GMA965, except the water plugin. And the terminal even have real transparency, not the bogus background thingy :)
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:55 am

My wife and kids hate Compiz, because even when it works right it still manages to frack up motion video and graphics in other applications: especially video playback and games. It must be disabled to play tuxracer, for example, or to play gnomechess with 3D graphics. I wish Mint would default to compiz OFF and force people to manually activate it, because they're having to disable it manually after every reboot.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby danbuter on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Of course, one of the first things I did after install was delete Compiz. It's one of the buggiest pieces of junk code ever foisted on linux.
danbuter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby waellerbe on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Lim-Dul wrote:And I can add a PS to the amen. :-D

I just realized that since Compiz Fusion is only enabled after you install some drivers for your graphics card, just like waellerbe explained, it actually ISN'T the default window manager in Mint - immediately after a fresh installation you'll be greeted by Metacity (in the GNOME version). :-D

Hello Lim-Dul,

It appears as if we will reign supreme in the areas of "Amens" in reference to Compiz Fusion. I have never seen a 3D Desktop like it. At this stage I would venture to say that Windows Vista has nothing on Compiz Fusion. I have heard about Metacity, and I would like to read up on it. Take care and have a wonderful day.
waellerbe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby waellerbe on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:10 pm

AK Dave wrote:My wife and kids hate Compiz, because even when it works right it still manages to frack up motion video and graphics in other applications: especially video playback and games. It must be disabled to play tuxracer, for example, or to play gnomechess with 3D graphics. I wish Mint would default to compiz OFF and force people to manually activate it, because they're having to disable it manually after every reboot.[/i]

If you're looking to play games with your Linux distro, there's an interesting application (someone correct me) called Transgamers, which uses Wine in the background to that Windows users can play games on top of Linux.
waellerbe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:48 pm

AK Dave wrote:My wife and kids hate Compiz, because even when it works right it still manages to frack up motion video and graphics in other applications: especially video playback and games. It must be disabled to play tuxracer, for example, or to play gnomechess with 3D graphics. I wish Mint would default to compiz OFF and force people to manually activate it, because they're having to disable it manually after every reboot.

1. Install fusion-icon and add to sessions with "fusion-icon -n" without the quotes (that should be default!)
2. Appearance - Desktop Effects - Disable. That should be sticky after a reboot.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions