Connecting to network server (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick0612

Connecting to network server (Solved)

Post by rick0612 »

Hi, I am not a Linux noobie. I have used RPM based Linuxes with KDE since 1998. I am trying out Mint since it looks so good and got such good reviews. I am having some difficulties with the Gnome desktop (I am a noobie here) and getting to my home folder on my samba server. There are other issues but one at a time.
My server is a separate box running Linux. It has a home folder for each user on the network and a shared folder for everyone to access. When I get to the server in nautilus, I see the shared folder and a folder called "homes". This is natural and the same way I saw it in my other distro. When I click on the shared folder it asks for my password and then connects. When I click on the homes folder, it just says "Unable to mount location". I am not given an opportunity to input a password.
I tried pyNeighborhood but that didn't work (yes I set it up with my user name and password). Then I tried xSMBrowser and I can get to the folder and access my files but that is a very inelegant way of working with files (no drag and drop). Is there a way to use nautilus or could someone suggest another file manager to access my home folder on the server?

P.S. My user name and password are consistent over the local network.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Connecting to network server

Post by Husse »

Networking is not my best subject :) but let's have a go
Home folder on a server - I suppose you have a home folder locally as well?
This Home folder on a server - do I understand you right that you have no problems with it?
The shared folder for everyone to access, what is it called? homes? I hope so as you see a folder called "homes"
Who is the owner of that folder?
This is some kind of permissions problem where Nautilus thinks it has no rights there
Have you tried the right click option "Open as root"?
Not that I recommend you to use root but just to see what happens
You could try "fusesmb" (is in synaptic)
We had it installed by default, but it's not quite good enough to include in a LTS
Loose ends, to help me understand better....
rick0612

Post by rick0612 »

Thanks for the reply Husse.

I have a home folder on my PC, I use the server "homes" folder to store files I don't use that often.
The shared folder is owned by a group I created on the server and anyone in the group can access it including me from the Mint PC.
When I built the server, I created home folders for all my network users, basically they are just users on the server. The "homes" folder is a function of the samba server that displays only the folder name "homes" to let users know that home folders exist on the server. When a user connects with their username and password, the samba server directs the connection to the user's folder, if it exists.
I have no problem connecting to my server folder with Windows, PCLOS or Kubuntu, I just can't get there in Mint without using xSMBrowser.

If you need more info, I will be happy to oblige.

Rick.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have to read this more than once.....
I'm running out of time for today
miket

Post by miket »

Husse,
Husse wrote:I have to read this more than once.....
I'm running out of time for today
What's the name of that smb/CIFs/OS X client we talked about today ?
you know... the one with smb4k in the name :)

Code: Select all

apt-get install smb4k
It will solve this problem :)

Mike :D
rick0612

Post by rick0612 »

Thanks for the help.

OK folks, smb4k does do what I want to do in the manner I want to do it but, I was hoping to stay with strictly gnome apps. I now have half of KDE installed just so I can get to my server account.

Does anyone know of a gnome app that works the same as smb4k?
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !

Not sure why my posting is above twice ? Perhaps I was over enthusiastic with the submit button??
(Husse can you remove it if you see this please ?)
rick0612 wrote:Thanks for the help.

OK folks, smb4k does do what I want to do in the manner I want to do it but, I was hoping to stay with strictly gnome apps. I now have half of KDE installed just so I can get to my server account.

Does anyone know of a gnome app that works the same as smb4k?
As far as I know there isn't a Gnome version that works as well currently ....
I wouldn't worry too much about having some of the KDE libraries installed for such app's, it just broadens the choice of software available to you.
I also use K3b for CD/DVD burning, which again was developed for KDE, as it has all the functionality I need and is extremely reliable.

Mike.
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK i'll delete the odd one
Try fusesmb - probably not as good as smb4k but....

Return to “Beginner Questions”