BootMgr Missing Windows XP reboot using Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cocolate

BootMgr Missing Windows XP reboot using Linux

Post by Cocolate »

So here is the main issue I am facing and has brought me to LinuxMint Forums. I'm sorry to have to make note here, but I would estimate it isn't much of a difference of a workaround from using Linux Mint and Ubuntu. You see the UbuntuForums.org site has been down for about 5 days and it was exactly 5 days ago that I begin this problematic reinstall. So if you will bear with me I can explain and Im sure someone could lend some helpful advice.

The Set Up:

Code: Select all

My friend asked me to take a look at his laptop. It is an HP Pavilion dv4000 laptop 2002. The specs are-
Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.60GHz
1.60 GHz, 504 MB of RAM
74 GB hdd
"Designed for Windows XP"
The viruses on this mother were so bad that I had to do a reinstall and for some reason, I'm trying to figure out why I did it now, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it, knowing I was going to have to install XP back onto it. (At the time I thought I would have an easier time running ubuntu to do the reinstall.)

The Problem
The issue that came to me when trying to install the Windows XP ISO using Linux via USB. (???) Why didnt I just make it while I still had the XP?Would have made my job so so much easier. And since I am not running any Windows OS's on any of my own computers, I either have to leave my place to borrow a friends computer, or usually the answer is on ubuntuforums.org which is down :!:

Sigh... So I created my pendrive Windows XP. I rebooted and recieve error message BootMGR Missing Press Ctl + Alt + Delete to reboot, and this results in an endless loop of reboots.

So of course I search engine it. Tons of people have ran across this issue. Its very common, yet from Linux not so simple. Basically I have come to conclusion my answer is to use another windows system to install

Code: Select all

boot.sect
onto my USB.

smh

According to this post on via this link http://forums.techguy.org/7452772-post22.html and this post http://forums.techguy.org/7451489-post18.html my solution is not using Linux.

Can anyone answer this? It could also help anyone in the future searching for this answer, which is mostly why I made this so throroughly descriptive, thank you.

Here are a few more useful links:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/43557-63-solved-bootmgr-missing-failed-windows-install
http://superuser.com/questions/432625/bootmgr-is-missing-for-windows-xp
http://askubuntu.com/questions/225962/missing-bootmgr
http://askubuntu.com/questions/177829/usb-stick-made-with-unetbootin-missing-bootmgr
http://www.komku.org/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html

(And YES, I have to do this from a USB no disc drive avail.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: BootMgr Missing Windows XP reboot using Linux

Post by Spearmint2 »

when trying to install the Windows XP ISO
Is this something downloaded direct from Microsoft? Or an ISO created from an XP install disc?

Why not just do a "dirty install" of Windows on top of itself?

Is none of the previous Windows left on the hard drive?

If not and a clean install must be made, then visit the drive manufacturer's site and get software to setup the disc again for loading windows onto it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Spearmint2 wrote:
when trying to install the Windows XP ISO
Is this something downloaded direct from Microsoft? Or an ISO created from an XP install disc?

Why not just do a "dirty install" of Windows on top of itself?

Is none of the previous Windows left on the hard drive?

If not and a clean install must be made, then visit the drive manufacturer's site and get software to setup the disc again for loading windows onto it.
Thanks for that reply. Its true I am using an ISO from a torrent :mrgreen: buuut shouldnt I be able to just add the BootMGR? If I use the Windows OS Its as simple as downloading MBRWizard and following a few very simple easy steps.

No there is nothing left from the Windows OS. It was severely damaged and I threw everything I had at it. There was a rootkit in one of the scans and I could not remove it.

I really wanted to use this version of the XP OS but I forgot I was going to try using a different ISO. If I could use this one I prefer it. Otherwise I thought I could just run a few commands and get this one even though I've spent a whole weekend working on this...
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I can't help you with bootleg stuff, but in general if you'd lost the windows and the partition is still there, you can boot from a Linux LIVE CD and pull the personal files off it. If the partition was destroyed, you probably have nothing to access, although some data recover such as Easis or Easus may find something. If this was a brand name computer, maybe there's a partition with the software on it you can access.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Spearmint2 wrote:I can't help you with bootleg stuff, but in general if you'd lost the windows and the partition is still there, you can boot from a Linux LIVE CD and pull the personal files off it. If the partition was destroyed, you probably have nothing to access, although some data recover such as Easis or Easus may find something. If this was a brand name computer, maybe there's a partition with the software on it you can access.
Ok well again thank you for the reply. I know if I just use another computer with Windows OS or I make a disc of Windows XP this is a pretty easy fix. So thats my next step. Currently Im considering to attempt a different ISO torrent. Otherwise I hope what youre saying is that I cant erase Ubuntu and install XP? I dont think thats true but I also think you may be saying something else. Anyways, I dont really want any old files because its likely they were infected. I removed over 50 viruses using malware bytes, ESET online, CCleaner, AdwCleaner, RougeKiller, TDSSKiller, etc. That still didnt solve the problem.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Sigh... So I created my pendrive Windows XP. I rebooted and recieve error message BootMGR Missing Press Ctl + Alt + Delete to reboot, and this results in an endless loop of reboots....(And YES, I have to do this from a USB no disc drive avail.)
The computer you describe has a right to a windows install. For a nominal fee, usually $15-20 the person it belongs to can order a set of CD's from HP for it. Windows has various versions of XP such as "royal" OEM, which is that distributed and loaded onto major brand computers, there's a system builder OEM version, and the best and least problematic which also resets every 120 days for reinstall is the retail version. Those of course are divided between full and upgrade for the latter two. Microsoft does distribute install discs which come without a Product Key, which license can be purchased later after the trial period is finished. It's possible this is what you are attempting to use. Here's some of the problems you face. It's almost impossible to install a brand name computer OEM version of Windows on any computer other than the one it was intended to be on, because it has extra part to the install to check and make sure the computer matches the maker for which that software was created.

You say nothing is left of the former windows install, and since you installed Ubuntu on it, depending on what type of install was done, that's very likely. If you want to completely remove Ubuntu and put Windows on it and must use a USB thumbdrive to accomplish, one approach is to wipe the drive completely and then reinstall Windows from the computer manufacturer's software. If you don't have access to the manufacturer's software and just want to wipe the drive, then some software from Western Digital which can be freely downloaded has always worked fine for me on theirs and other maker hard drives to clean it off and set it up again with partitions and file system, ready for install of an operating system such as windows.

If you have any Linux distro on the USB, you can use that to delete all the partitions (GParted) and then setup one or two for Windows use as NTFS.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ is the place to go and download software which will let you load an ISO file to a USB thumbdrive which can be accessed same as a CDROM could be, except by USB.

If anything of the former windows remains intact in it's partition, and you boot any windows install disc, (by disc or USB) then you can enter the restore or repair section and get access to a command screen, similar to terminal in Linux, and run FIXMBR and then FIXBOOT and it will restore the Windows boot system, but while killing and GRUB boot loader that's on it.

If I was in your situation, I'd use a LIVE Linux distro on USB, create a first partition for Windows, and other partitions after that for the Linux distro, then I'd install the distro using the "something else" which allows picking the exact partitions for installation, thereby leaving the first partition for Windows. I'd also make sure the first partition was FAT32 probably to avoid any file permissions problems interfering later when pulling data from an NTFS partition if your friend has a habit of getting infected so badly, then install Windows onto it. Doing it this way will give you a system to get the Windows install started from the USB and if you load the Linus distro in the last 30-40 GB of the hard drive or even last 20 GB, there will be a system on there you can use in the future if Windows dies again.

After Windows is installed again, you can reinstall the GRUB and have it boot to Windows from there and also have Linux available for use too. If you use the manufacturer's system restore CD's, even if put onto a USB stick, it will completely wipe the drive before installing windows, so just be aware of that. If you want the windows to become the default to boot from GRUB, that's something which can be adjusted later, but for another thread.

[url=http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00608578&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002]HP Recovery Partition Access Page.[/url]

[url=http://www.computersurgeons.com/shoppingcart/v.htm]If pressing F10 or F11 during startup won't display the recovery software, since the HP store no longer supplies it, you could order from their resellers, such as this one.[/url]
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Cocolate wrote:The viruses on this mother were so bad that I had to do a reinstall
Completely sanitizing the partition that contains a Microsoft OS (and all partitions that it will be allowed to interact with) and installing said OS from an original, unmolested installation media would seem to be the solution.
Cocolate wrote:I am using an ISO from a torrent :mrgreen:

Ah... So don't so much wish to provide an environment free of viruses, per se... You, instead, wish to pre-install them, lol? (At this point, my friend would be telling you that you probably just joined someone's massive botnet. A friend of that friend would ask if it was his :roll: .)

Get the "OEM" Windows disc from HP. It'll be cheap - I pulled an old Dell out of a dumpster, emailed Dell customer support asking for discs, and they sent me 64-bit Windows XP for free (along with a couple other discs). Knowing that some 15-year old didn't preload the thing full of viruses, malware, code to allow him to use your computer and its Internet connection as a component in his various activities (such as DDoS attacks), or a backdoor that enables him to explore your system and all of its data whenever he wishes... priceless.

Personally, I'd recommend that one avoid ALL "hacked/cracked" software like the plague - or like one would avoid plague-carriers :roll: ) - but, at the very least, don't install molested OS(!!!)... And when it comes time to install the boat-anchor load of anti-virus, anti-malware, et cetera apps, don't install molested copies of those, either.

With all that being said: Your friend is using an OS that has been out for years, has received support for years, has had countless anti-virus/-malware apps for years... and is still unable to keep his system clean? Support for XP is Just About Done, lol. It's (well past) time for a new OS. Since he's currently using XP, I'm guessing the computer is old. I suggest Mint, one of the versions that uses the Xfce desktop environment (pretty lightweight, but mature and able); Mint 13 Xfce might be best because it will be supported until 2017, but you might find Mint 14 to be a good choice also (support ends next year, but installing a newer version is pretty simple - and one could always choose to install Mint 13 at that time if newer versions don't play well on the old computer). These days, more games are being released for linux OS - and there is always Wine/Play-On-linux - so it seems to me that the only remaining reason to stick with one of Microsoft's OS is... if one likes viruses.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Get the "OEM" Windows disc from HP. It'll be cheap - I pulled an old Dell out of a dumpster, emailed Dell customer support asking for discs, and they sent me 64-bit Windows XP for free (along with a couple other discs).
Unfortunately, HP no longer supplies that part number 358213-001 recovery disc. He'll have to get off EBay, or an approved reseller, or go for a retail install of Windows and download all the driver files for that model which HP does still have on their site.
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

I have read all the above text. I cant express my gratitude. I'll make one point then respond under the below quoting. I searched another torrented ISO I liked last night and the reboot this morning resulted in the same orginal problem (BootMGR Missing). Therefore this is not the ISO issue, in retrospect. The method I am using to create the USB is:

gparted- unmount, deleting all pendrive partitions, creating a new partition as NTFS, flagged as "boot", mount
unetbootin- select ISO
gparted- unmount, format NTFS, close, mount
unetbootin- OK
Reboot

This is the necessary order when conducting this USB creation from Linux (ubuntu).
Spearmint2 wrote: The computer you describe has a right to a windows install. For a nominal fee, usually $15-20 the person it belongs to can order a set of CD's from HP for it. Windows has various versions of XP such as "royal" OEM, which is that distributed and loaded onto major brand computers, there's a system builder OEM version, and the best and least problematic which also resets every 120 days for reinstall is the retail version. Those of course are divided between full and upgrade for the latter two. Microsoft does distribute install discs which come without a Product Key, which license can be purchased later after the trial period is finished. It's possible this is what you are attempting to use. Here's some of the problems you face. It's almost impossible to install a brand name computer OEM version of Windows on any computer other than the one it was intended to be on, because it has extra part to the install to check and make sure the computer matches the maker for which that software was created.
I thought this might eventually face palm me. I never read this dooming words for any issue of mine before since I started learning with Linux :arrow: :arrow: :!:

And now of course it is too late to go through the recovery method I have just learned of because I deleted the whole Windows partition. I wanted to wipe the whole hdd completely anyway, and now I learn I could have just basically recovered without cost and had a fresh install. Shown in this method here>
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-48305-recovery-disk-for-a-specific-hp-pavilion

However, if I had no choice other than a use of an original XP disc from a friend on his HP (desktop) computer could you manage to reluctantly agree may suffice? I would be happier getting an OS on without $ if it can get by well enough as a passable version. :| Otherwise with any bugs, or unpatched updates, I think the $15-20 is paying for itself. You would think the $ is self-explanatory, but for this particular situatoin it means I kinda like really messed up on myself, and I really really like really... want to get this done without the cost of that small little $20... I wont describe that at this time.

Spearmint2 wrote:You say nothing is left of the former windows install, and since you installed Ubuntu on it, depending on what type of install was done, that's very likely. If you want to completely remove Ubuntu and put Windows on it and must use a USB thumbdrive to accomplish, one approach is to wipe the drive completely and then reinstall Windows from the computer manufacturer's software.
So in short what you are saying in blatant terms is that to install a Windows OS back onto this laptop I MUST remove Linux first? Thats what I was getting out of the other links I had read, but, if I read correctly, I saw them solve this issue without having to do that. I figured this would work the same as an installation of Linux allows freshly installing over anything on the hdd. So what I must do is 1st erase everything and then use the Windows software I obtain to do a fresh install?
Spearmint2 wrote:If you don't have access to the manufacturer's software and just want to wipe the drive, then some software from Western Digital which can be freely downloaded has always worked fine for me on theirs and other maker hard drives to clean it off and set it up again with partitions and file system, ready for install of an operating system such as windows.

If you have any Linux distro on the USB, you can use that to delete all the partitions (GParted) and then setup one or two for Windows use as NTFS.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ is the place to go and download software which will let you load an ISO file to a USB thumbdrive which can be accessed same as a CDROM could be, except by USB.

If anything of the former windows remains intact in it's partition, and you boot any windows install disc, (by disc or USB) then you can enter the restore or repair section and get access to a command screen, similar to terminal in Linux, and run FIXMBR and then FIXBOOT and it will restore the Windows boot system, but while killing and GRUB boot loader that's on it.
I really do not think anything else exists from the original Windows OS. According to Gparted I have :

/dev/sda1, ext4, ... ... ..., boot
/dev/sda2, extended
/dev/sda5 linux-swap

these were all created with the original install OVER windows XP os.
Spearmint2 wrote:If I was in your situation, I'd use a LIVE Linux distro on USB, create a first partition for Windows, and other partitions after that for the Linux distro, then I'd install the distro using the "something else" which allows picking the exact partitions for installation, thereby leaving the first partition for Windows. I'd also make sure the first partition was FAT32 probably to avoid any file permissions problems interfering later when pulling data from an NTFS partition if your friend has a habit of getting infected so badly, then install Windows onto it. Doing it this way will give you a system to get the Windows install started from the USB and if you load the Linus distro in the last 30-40 GB of the hard drive or even last 20 GB, there will be a system on there you can use in the future if Windows dies again.

After Windows is installed again, you can reinstall the GRUB and have it boot to Windows from there and also have Linux available for use too. If you use the manufacturer's system restore CD's, even if put onto a USB stick, it will completely wipe the drive before installing windows, so just be aware of that. If you want the windows to become the default to boot from GRUB, that's something which can be adjusted later, but for another thread.

[url=http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00608578&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002]HP Recovery Partition Access Page.[/url]

[url=http://www.computersurgeons.com/shoppingcart/v.htm]If pressing F10 or F11 during startup won't display the recovery software, since the HP store no longer supplies it, you could order from their resellers, such as this one.[/url]
This is probably what I'll have to do once I get the proper and correct software sorted out. Thanks again we people of the future and myself immensely give props.

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Cocolate wrote:The viruses on this mother were so bad that I had to do a reinstall
Completely sanitizing the partition that contains a Microsoft OS (and all partitions that it will be allowed to interact with) and installing said OS from an original, unmolested installation media would seem to be the solution.
Its too late for that now, yet point taken.
MtnDewManiac wrote:
Cocolate wrote:I am using an ISO from a torrent :mrgreen:

Ah... So don't so much wish to provide an environment free of viruses, per se... You, instead, wish to pre-install them, lol? (At this point, my friend would be telling you that you probably just joined someone's massive botnet. A friend of that friend would ask if it was his :roll: .)

Get the "OEM" Windows disc from HP. It'll be cheap - I pulled an old Dell out of a dumpster, emailed Dell customer support asking for discs, and they sent me 64-bit Windows XP for free (along with a couple other discs). Knowing that some 15-year old didn't preload the thing full of viruses, malware, code to allow him to use your computer and its Internet connection as a component in his various activities (such as DDoS attacks), or a backdoor that enables him to explore your system and all of its data whenever he wishes... priceless.

Personally, I'd recommend that one avoid ALL "hacked/cracked" software like the plague - or like one would avoid plague-carriers :roll: ) - but, at the very least, don't install molested OS(!!!)... And when it comes time to install the boat-anchor load of anti-virus, anti-malware, et cetera apps, don't install molested copies of those, either.
Its sounds like your giving any software thats been modified or available for free download is infected and compromised as "touched"? I was very careful in selecting my ISO's although I can't be anymore safe than closing my eyes and reaching into a dark black hole in the ground and hoping to find treasure and not a hand-eating gremlin. BUT, buuut, I read the reviews and had made the intentions of using all my usual scans to check for the infections, though you know more than I do on this subject apparently, and maybe if the backdoor is built-in with code so ddep in the framework of the running OS, I'm S.O.L. attempting to use a Malwarebytes scan (includ of course the rest of the arresnal), they wont suffice...
Period? No matter which torrent? Ratio 0:100?
MtnDewManiac wrote:With all that being said: Your friend is using an OS that has been out for years, has received support for years, has had countless anti-virus/-malware apps for years... and is still unable to keep his system clean? Support for XP is Just About Done, lol. It's (well past) time for a new OS. Since he's currently using XP, I'm guessing the computer is old. I suggest Mint, one of the versions that uses the Xfce desktop environment (pretty lightweight, but mature and able); Mint 13 Xfce might be best because it will be supported until 2017, but you might find Mint 14 to be a good choice also (support ends next year, but installing a newer version is pretty simple - and one could always choose to install Mint 13 at that time if newer versions don't play well on the old computer). These days, more games are being released for linux OS - and there is always Wine/Play-On-linux - so it seems to me that the only remaining reason to stick with one of Microsoft's OS is... if one likes viruses.

Regards,
MDM
Thanks, my firend will hate the Linux add with a passion it will stand to reason. I cannot hold a grudge, I only was expected to get this up and running and now Im trying to weasle out by passing off Linux as something he will learn to love, anyhow/ you are so so dead right, much appreciate your bantar and advice. Its definitely worth more than a free forum response.

Im on my way to research a practical free version of my Windows XP install, and finally as a final last grasp for fate, I will need to pay the price ...of $20... :oops:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/Default.aspx
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

What I'd do to make the USB drive bootable is to load a windows 98 se bootdisk onto it. One thing you need to remember is to use the SYS command in addition to copying all files onto the root directory of the USB drive.

After booting to the USB drive, and having copied the files from the XP ISO placed on it, (not the ISO, but the files when the ISO is made a CD or imported into a CD emulator like Virtual Clone Drive) I'd go to the I386 folder and run the DOS setup file there to start setting up windows XP from a DOS prompt, since the Win32 version of Setup in the root directory of the XP disc won't run in DOS. [url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848]This goes into depth on the method.[/url]

Your problem will be the Product Key must match the particular type of XP distro you are installing. By that I don't mean Home vs Pro, but the type (HP's OEM, system builder OEM, Retail Boxed) For instance, if you use a Product Key that should load a boxed retail version, it won't work if the XP files are for a manufacturer's installation. If you run a system builder OEM type of XP install disc, then it also won't work for the Product Key from a boxed retail version, nor vice versa. So, you might get the Setup program running, hit the Product Key section, and without a proper one, or even with the one on the back of the computer supplied by the manufacturer, if the XP setup is not one distributed by that manufacturer, that key won't work.

Your alternate is to clone a drive with Windows onto that one, but it will fail activation on the first boot unless the computers are almost the same type and particularly the same motherboard type. Those are your choices.

One alternate solution that will cheaply put one back in windows and avoid activation is to [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-2000-PRO-key-for-Any-Pc-Laptop-/121151740131?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item1c3534d8e3]install Windows 2000[/url]and add the 4 service packs and the Rollup1 from internet, along with Avast AV (still works on w2k) and FF 12 and Opera 10. Put a copy of Bliss as the backdrop on the computer so it looks like XP, deliver it, and run, LOL!

PS- you can boot from a windows 98 floppy and then run the XP installation from the USB drive.
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Spearmint2, thank you for sticking with me through this very complicated issue. Looking back I wish I knew at the time I could have boot into a recovery mode http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-48305-recovery-disk-for-a-specific-hp-pavilion insted of erasing and booting Linux.

I have learned alot from this thread; OEM's, the ethenticity of torrents, Windows partitions, attempting using an older version and passing it off to create an XP disc or USB :wink: !

I think paying for a $20 copy http://www.computersurgeons.com/Default.aspx is more reasonable as well as just making the trip to a friends and using a windows computer to make a windows disc :roll: I thought making it from Linux was fool proof, but it turns out that making an XP disc is nearly impossible via USB as I have come to realize. Although I could make the disc from my own Linux machine.... Here is an answer in another forum with my same question that gave me my final conclusion
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/bootmgr-missing-windows-xp-reboot-using-linux-4175471278/#post4999755

Basic enough. But I would have used a most likely infected torrent, or wrong OEM if I had not gone through the discussion @ LinuxMint. You could have saved me alot of hassle in the future, and I hope many others can find this information useful.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can google information on how to "slipstream windows" which is what those with early retail editions of XP do when a new service pack comes out if they want to create a new fully updated install disc for themselves. It goes into using isobuster or some other programs to extract the boot part of a windows CD, then slipstream the new service pack into the files of the windows install disc, and then put it all together in a new home use disc of a fully updated windows install disc. If you have windows disc that belongs to you, it's perfectly legal to do.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Spearmint2 wrote:If you are a glutton for punishment
I'd think it would be less of a punishment to slipstream the updates than to do a basic install and then hit Windows Update for almost 12 years' worth of updates, lol. How many "Your system must be rebooted to finish updating..." events would that equate to, anyway?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Yes, and the thread starter here will face that one next. ;)
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

To the OP: If you're really going to install XP from scratch (using a pre-SP1) disk, you can save a LOT of work with Windows Updates if you download and install the Service Packs from MS, one at a time. Those will include nearly all the updates you will need, except for driver updates. Still takes a while, but not as long as doing hundreds and hundreds of individual updates.
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Spearmint2 wrote:If you are a glutton for punishment, you can google information on how to "slipstream windows" which is what those with early retail editions of XP do when a new service pack comes out if they want to create a new fully updated install disc for themselves. It goes into using isobuster or some other programs to extract the boot part of a windows CD, then slipstream the new service pack into the files of the windows install disc, and then put it all together in a new home use disc of a fully updated windows install disc. If you have windows disc that belongs to you, it's perfectly legal to do.
OK> here I am today on a windows PC ( :cry: ) I have 2.5 whole entire days to make this disc. I would love to have this accomplished by Monday (tomorrow), but I have until mid afternoon Tues. So,..

What youre saying, dear Spearmint2, is using a program such as isobuster will extract the boot portion of any other XP disc and then "slipstream" the service packs into them and that will create my disc? That doesnt sound too pain staking really at all... I do not have the XP disc with me here. My plan is to just scour the Internet for something I trust and/or use this computers Windows XP os... impossible? Maybe. But The next 2 days I will have a new disc for this PC, whether it be torrented, copied, ripped, pieced together, in the background- any means necessary; the research begins NOW.
MtnDewManiac wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:If you are a glutton for punishment
I'd think it would be less of a punishment to slipstream the updates than to do a basic install and then hit Windows Update for almost 12 years' worth of updates, lol. How many "Your system must be rebooted to finish updating..." events would that equate to, anyway?

Regards,
MDM
So that is done along with slipstreaming the service packs?
Mark Phelps wrote:To the OP: If you're really going to install XP from scratch (using a pre-SP1) disk, you can save a LOT of work with Windows Updates if you download and install the Service Packs from MS, one at a time. Those will include nearly all the updates you will need, except for driver updates. Still takes a while, but not as long as doing hundreds and hundreds of individual updates.
That sounds basic enough thanks.

Thanks everyone. Wish me luck.

p.s. This video looks great I hope this can get me to my disc. I understand now that if you do not have a OEM disc you can install the service packs... Thats old I've been doing that for years. I just wasnt aware that it had anything to do with an OEM...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwyMuo4pkvM
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

using a program such as isobuster will extract the boot portion of any other XP disc and then "slipstream" the service packs into them and that will create my disc?
You extract the boot portion of the disc and save to an img or other file that the CD Burning Software can import when making the CD bootable. You have to clk on the option to make it bootable and the software will then ask you for the boot image file location.

To slip stream it, you should google the processto be exact.[url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/#extract]This is a good page[/url], but you could watch a youtube on it too. In general you copy all the files of a disc into a folder on your hard drive. You then extract the latest Service Pack into a folder. SP3? You should only need the last, they are supposed to be cumulative. [url=http://pcsupport.about.com/od/keepingupwithupdates/a/windows-service-pack.htm]edit - seems that isn't true in XP like in earlier editions. See this, where you need SP2 before SP3 or SP3 won't install.[/url]I don't know if that's true when you slipstream it though, I don't think it is. You then run the program which puts in the new files and folders into the ones for the disc. Finally you add all the files in that folder, but not including the folder itself, to the CD job and then burn it. You then check to see if the disc will boot and come to the Install page.

Alternate is to burn a copy of windows disc or an ISO of windows XP to a disc, but not bothering to make it bootable, instead booting from some other media such as floppy or USB. You then would [url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848]run the winnt.exe file in the i386 folder.[/url]
or use this computers Windows XP os... impossible?
Not impossible if you use a clone software program. Check Western Digital hard drive or Seagate's for some that will do it. There's other programs available too if you search around a bit.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Finally...

:D it is done. I found an extension for firefox called "torrent finder" I used that to find a list of trusted looking torrents and I liked the results very much. Here is the link to where I found my ISO http://torrent-finder.info/show.php?q=windows+xp+iso&Browse=tabs&PageLoad=loadall&select=13

Then I installed it :mrgreen:

Game over, you saved the princess, you have 999x lives, play again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”