How?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How?

Postby LineMan on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:33 pm

I am considering downloading and installing Linux Mint 5 Elyssa. Would just like to know how easy it is to install me being a newbie and all
LineMan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How?

Postby hotweiss on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 pm

LineMan wrote:I am considering downloading and installing Linux Mint 5 Elyssa. Would just like to know how easy it is to install me being a newbie and all

It could be very simple or it could be very difficult.

Just burn the Elyssa iso using ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/, or by using any other CD authoring software. Make sure that in your BIOS you have your optical drive set as the number one boot device. Boot-up Elyssa and click on install.

You could see how compatible Elyssa is by simply using the Live CD, but this is not exactly the best indicator of compatibility. As my wifi didn't work in the Live CD, but it worked once I installed Elyssa.

After you have installed it, you might have all of your hardware working perfectly. If that is not the case you will have to Google for solutions, which sometimes could be quite bothersome. Having a desktop usually means having a simpler install, notebooks on the other hand require a lot more configuring in most cases.

The best thing to do is just try.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby LineMan on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Gee thanks hotweiss
LineMan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby waellerbe on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 pm

LineMan wrote:I am considering downloading and installing Linux Mint 5 Elyssa. Would just like to know how easy it is to install me being a newbie and all

Trust me when I tell you that Linux Mint 5 is the best distro for my Compaq Presario V2630US laptop. The wifi works like a dream, and it's also a blessing to be able to run Windows Vista on top of Linux Mint using VMware Server which is free. Linux is definitely the way to go.
waellerbe
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions