Sleep Mode Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sleep Mode Problem

Postby nobodyinparticular on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Hello.
I can't get Mint 5 to come out of sleep mode either from inactivity or closing the laptop lid. This was not a problem in Mint 4. I get a blank screen that does not respond to the mouse but sometimes does to Ctrl-Alt-Del on the keyboard. Most times I have to do a hard reboot. This is a fresh install on an HP Pavilion ze4610us laptop. The laptop has no problems coming out of sleep mode in Windows. I do like Mint alot. Any suggestions? Thanks.
nobodyinparticular
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sleep Mode Problem

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 pm

This is usually a video driver issue, which could have been caused by a regression in the stock driver somewhere in the upgrade path to Elyssa. Generic remidy is, considering that your hardware is almost certainly based on Nvidia or ATI graphics processing, is to switch to the "restricted" hardware driver, and if that isn't good enough try the proprietary driver installed through EnvyNG.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Deirdre on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Got exactly the same problem running Elyssa on a Shuttle SB61G2 (Intel 945) with nvidia 6x graphics with the " restriced" driver. Just dug up this machine and did a fresh install. Haven't had time to troubleshoot the problem, as it's not a priority for me at this moment. When i have some spare time i'll post some more information.
Deirdre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nobodyinparticular on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:51 pm

I've tried a lot of suggestions from the Ubuntu forums but nothing works. I have upgraded the kernel and even downgraded it too. I have tried Envy for my ATI card but it just messed up my display. I even went back to Mint 4 and was surprised to find that it also didn't work like I had thought. This problem also exists with my other installed distros: Zenwalk 5.2, Pardus 2008, PCLinuxOS 2007, Ubuntu 8.04, and openSUSE 11. This could be a unique problem with my HP Pavilion ze4610us laptop. I will give up for now and only use linux for my online banking transactions. I will continue to use Windows XP for everything else since I can't afford to have my laptop overheat. I also don't want to constantly be rebooting the laptop just because it fails to come out of sleep mode in linux. I hope Linux Mint 6 fixes this problem. Bye.
nobodyinparticular
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions