Share Thunderbird Emails between Windows and Linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Share Thunderbird Emails between Windows and Linux

Postby FredJones on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:32 am

I have my Thunderbird email setup in Windows. I was thinking of trying to point Thunderbird in LinuxMint at that same directory and thus have access to the same emails in both OS's on my dual boot. The partition is NTFS which holds the files.

Any caveats to this that anyone can envision? Until I can switch 100% to Linux, each OS would be reading and writing to the same email store.

Thanks.
FredJones
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Share Thunderbird Emails between Windows and Linux

Postby atlef on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:37 am

Only problems I have experienced with this solution is that if you use extensions, they may give problems. And if you use lightning/calendar it will not work between the two versions.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Lim-Dul on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:28 am

What atlef said. I don't use that many extensions in Thunderbird (unlike in Firefox =) and have shared my mails between Vista and Linux Mint from day 1 of dual booting. I haven't encountered even the slightest problem. Firefox may cause more issues because of the more exotic extensions and the fact that there isn't a 3.0 final package in the Mint repos, yet. You might install the non-native, unbranded Ubuntu package if you're keen on sharing your Firefox profile, though.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby atlef on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 am

I would also like to add that you can have different profile folders, as in 1 profile on your Windows and 1 on Mint. this takes care of any problems with extensions. Then you can create a folder where you move all your mail into, and point those profiles to that folder in "Server Settings". This solution works for me, and lets me have all my mail available from both OS.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby FredJones on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:28 am

Thank you for the responses! :)
FredJones
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions